- Mission and Values
- Wellesley Facts
- The Wellesley Effect
- The Campus
- Plan for Campus Renewal
- Wellesley in the World
- College History
- Wellesley Blogs
Science is integral to the liberal arts at Wellesley.
Updates and additions to the College's science facilities with nearly every generation reflect both the changing world of science and Wellesley's continuous relevance in its many disciplines.
Sage Hall was completed in 1931 (Day & Klauder, architects), adjacent to the existing greenhouses and near the existing observatory to create a thriving scientific center on campus. This photo from 1971 shows the buildings just before the major addition (Perry Dean Stahl and Rogers, 1977) that integrates mid-century modern aesthetics with the more traditional academic look of Sage. More changes, large and small, have taken place over the history of the Science Center.
The base plan for the upcoming Science Center project covers older and newer parts of that complex. Renovation of the 1977 L-wing, infrastructure repairs to Sage Hall, strategic infrastructure improvements to the E-wing, and the replacement of the permanent greenhouses will begin to provide the Science Center with flexibility for new disciplines and pedagogies, while encouraging and supporting collaboration and enhancing sustainability.