Music at Wellesley
The Music Major
There are widely recognized and dedicated scholars and performers in the Music Department. The Department offers diverse opportunities in performance, music history, theory, ethnomusicology, and composition (see below). You may also major in Music.
- Private voice/instrument instruction: Qualified students are accepted by audition into a program in which they receive academic credit for lessons taken in conjunction with elective music courses.
- Group instruction in voice, classical guitar, percussion, viola da gamba, recorder
- Courses in music history, western jazz, etc., world, opera, practical fundamentals, theory, jazz, classical, musical repertoires from a variety of eras and regions, electronic/computer music, history of production, and conducting.
- Jewett Arts Center: Houses the Art and Music Departments. The music wing contains the Music Library, with 50,000 books, music scores, recordings and periodicals; 22 practice studios, with at least one piano and most with a Steinway grand piano; classrooms, listening rooms, and Music Department offices.
- Jewett Auditorium: Music performances, theatre events, lectures, and symposia are held in the 320-seat Jewett Auditorium. The theater contains a full complement of sound, lighting, recording, and playback equipment.
- Houghton Memorial Chapel: Built in 1899; Gothic Revival architecture
- Galen Stone Tower: 32-bell carillon atop Green Hall
- Instruments: 39 pianos, including 28 Steinway grands, 2 Mason and Hamlin grands, and 5 Steinway uprights;
- Harp; Marimba; Modern orchestral instruments; Early music instruments
- Keyboard: Clavichord, Virginal, Two harpsichords, Fortepiano, Clementi piano
- Stringed: Lute, violas da gamba, Baroque violin, 18th-century Venetian viola
- Wind: Sackbut, Krummhorns, Shawms, Recorders, Renaissance flute, Baroque flutes, Dulcian, Baroque oboe
- Charles B. Fisk Organ (Houghton Memorial Chapel)
- Three-manual Aeolian-Skinner pipe organ (Houghton Memorial Chapel)
Learn more about the following Wellesley Ensembles:
- Brandeis Wellesley Orchestra
- Chamber Music Society
- Wellesley College Choir Choral music from the Renaissance through the present, with approximately 50 singers.
- Chamber Singers
- Collegium Musicum
- Wellesley BlueJazz
Yanvalou Drum and Dance Ensemble: Performance of folkloric music and dance of the African Diaspora, particularly as it is found in Haiti and Brazil.
A sampling of additional musical opportunities include:
- Aiko: Wellesley College's taiko group, a musical performance student organization that seeks to promote sensibilitly of Japanese culture, explore traditional ethnic music and dance, and form a solid, supportive taiko community on campus through performing and teaching taiko.
- Awaken The Dawn: A Christian a cappella group of women who perform song, skit, spoken word, and community service.
- A Cappella and Vocal Groups
Fiddleheads: Traditional and modern music from the Celtic isles
MIT-Wellesley Toons: A coed a capella group with 20 sopranos, altos, tenors, and basses. They make their mark on both the Wellesley and MIT campuses by singing pieces from cartoons, along with songs by diverse artists.
Blue Notes: An a cappella group of 10-13 members singing contemporary songs of a wide range of genres.
Tupelos: An cappella singing group, the Tupes have been dishing out red hot a cappella goodness since 1949!
Widows: A 15-voice a cappella singing group with a wide repertoire, specializing in popular music from the 1930's and 40's to the present.
- Graceful Harmony Gospel Choir: A religious gospel choir that performs on campus and various other places by request.
- Guild of Carillonneurs: Members play the carillon in the College's Galen Stone Tower, providing the trademark music of chiming bells.
- Prism Jazz: A faculty-directed jazz ensemble of about 12 students; encourages the development of fluency in jazz improvisation.
- Punch’s Alley: On-campus pub in the Wang Campus Center, hosts comedy shows and concerts by on- and off-campus groups.
- Tau Zeta Epsilon (TZE): Wellesley's Art and Music Society, provides an opportunity for additional study of the arts and to promote good fellowship among students.
- Wellesley-Brandeis Orchestra: Comprised of students, faculty, staff, and associates of Wellesley College and Brandeis University..
- WZLY 91.5 FM: WZLY, Wellesley's on-campus independent radio station.
Opportunities in Music
- Performance Program
- Wellesley College Concert Series
- Triple Helix Piano Trio: daytime and evening concerts for Wellesley community