The First-Year Experience
The unique first-year experience at Wellesley:
a transition to new courses and new experiences
Your very first day as a student at Wellesley College will mark a milestone in your life. It's the start of a transition and adjustment process that will unfold over the course of the entire first year.
At Wellesley we are committed to helping each first-year student make—and mark—this transition from high school to college. This first year will be more than just a chance to "get used to" college life. It is a particular moment in your cognitive and personal development that, at its best, affords you both opportunities and pleasures that are unique to the first year. We hope that each first-year student will find time to pursue the following:
- Participate in and build an intellectual community
- Engage (joyfully) in the life of the mind
- Take time for thoughtful self-discovery and reflection
- Nurture your growing independence
- Explore the curriculum and take classes in new subjects
- Focus on right now and enjoying today for itself
- Take risks and challenge yourself!
Wellesley's first-year experience supports students in these key moments in three major ways:
Focuses on exploration and skill development
|Is geared to the needs of first-year students
|Provides an opportunity for greater intellectual engagement, curricular exploration, self-reflection|