The two Student Orientation Coordinators (SOCs) are upperclass students who share in the responsibility for planning and implementing the fall Orientation program for new students at Wellesley College. Supervision will be provided jointly by the Dean of First-Year Students and a team of campus professionals. SOCs will spend an average of 35 hours per week in this position during the summer, and will have a significant role during Orientation week.
- Assist in the design and implementation of Orientation events, including but not limited to social and cultural events.
- Contribute to the process of decision-making regarding Orientation, and assist in the assessment of Orientation programs, processes and events.
- Facilitate communication with incoming students, their parents, and College offices, regarding the Orientation program and other related issues.
- Help to hire, train and supervise team of student Ask-Me Orientation Leaders.
- Maintain and update Orientation information on the campus website, including the MyWellesley portal, in collaboration with the Student Technology Coordinator and the Dean’s Office
- Develop and present training sessions about Orientation week and related responsibilities for student leaders and Student Life staff
- Meet weekly with an interdepartmental planning team to discuss goals, objectives and strategies.
- Perform basic office duties as required in the First-Year Dean’s Office, including answering phones, stuffing envelopes, planning events, doing data entry, and other duties as assigned.
- Students are expected to live in campus housing (provided) during the summer months.
- The successful candidate will have a strong record of leadership on the Wellesley campus, preferably working with first-year students in some capacity. The candidate will have demonstrated commitment to her position, an understanding of the College culture, and clear enthusiasm for this opportunity.
- Excellent communications skills are essential, and strong computer skills are preferred. A creative spirit and a sense of humor are highly desirable.
- Students must be in good academic and disciplinary standing.
- Candidates must be available for full-time work throughout the summer, beginning Monday, June 1, 2015, and continuing through Monday, August 31, 2015 (the end of Orientation week).
- Applicants must submit a cover letter and résumé, and will participate in a personal interview.
- Each SOC will be housed a single room in a campus residence hall for the summer (beginning June 1).
- Each SOC will earn a summer stipend of $2,500, to be paid in weekly installments.
- Each SOC will receive 5 paid vacation days, to be determined in conjunction with the staff.
- Each SOC will have the opportunity to move into her fall housing assignment prior to the opening of the halls for upperclass students.
- The Student Orientation Coordinators will gain significant experience in leadership development, as they will help to train and supervise other student leaders.
- The Coordinators will develop skills in event planning, time management, office organization, working in a team, and financial management, and will develop a greater understanding of College offices and systems.
- The Coordinators will hone their communication skills through public speaking, electronic and written correspondence, and active participation in meetings and collaborative processes.
Please complete the cover sheet linked here along with the following materials:
- A 1- to 2-page cover letter indicating the reasons for your interest in the position and describing what makes you a strong candidate.
- A professional résumé, outlining your pursuits at Wellesley, your academic interests, and your other activities, both on and off-campus. (For assistance with your résumé, please visit the Center for Work and Service.)
- A professional reference recommendation (form included) supporting your candidacy for the position
Application materials are due in the First-Year Dean's Office, 225 Schneider Center, no later than Monday, March 30, 2015 or by email to Ruth Samia, email@example.com.