The Department of Physical Education, Recreation and Athletics is dedicated to promoting students’ intellectual success and balanced living through increased knowledge, skill development, physical activity, and sports. PERA engages all students through a diverse physical education curriculum, varied types and levels of recreation, and competitive varsity athletics, affirming the PE requirement as an essential component of a liberal arts education.
- Acquire knowledge of and competence in fundamental and advanced motor skills that will allow students to enjoy regular physical activity.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the fundamental training principles that apply to cardiovascular fitness, flexibility, and strength.
- Develop strategies for self-assessment and goal-setting to achieve fitness and sport-related objectives.
- Understand the link between regular physical activity and improvements in mood, cognition, and academic performance.
- Adapt quickly to challenging situations as a result of being exposed to risk-taking opportunities.
PERA also partners with other departments -- including Student Activities, Health Services, Counseling, and Human Resources -- to provide students, faculty, and staff a variety of fun, active, educational, and engaging fitness opportunities throughout the year.