- Who We Are
- Where to Start
- Fellowships and Scholarships
- Graduate and Professional School
- Job Search Essentials
- Wellesley Serves!
- What Wellesley Graduates Do
- Wellesley Alumnae Network on LinkedIn
- Diversity Resources
- Online Workshops
- Alumnae Advice Video Series
- CWS Social Media Policy
- Graduate School Representatives
- Tanner Conference
- Wellesley College Alumnae Association
Internships for Credit
What to do if an internship site requires course credit
Some organizations ask that students receive academic credit in lieu of monetary payment for internships. Wellesley College does not award academic credit for internships. Students should still apply for internships and the Center for Work and Service staff will assist you by supporting your application. The CWS can provide a no-credit letter explaining the College’s policy while promoting the value of an internship. While we cannot guarantee that the internship site will accept the letter, this institutional explanation is often an acceptable substitute.
Please note: some professional fields absolutely require course credit, like media/TV/film industries. If you’re unsure about what to do, please come to the CWS drop-in hours before you submit an application.
If an organization will not waive the credit requirement, students may otherwise propose a 250 or 350 (Independent Study) course that will incorporate their experiences into an academic program. We encourage you to explore this option with your class dean, academic departments and major advisors to learn if your internship experience could serve as a foundation for a credit-bearing course.
If you are seeking a no-credit letter for an internship, please complete the following steps:
1. Prepare a note stating your name, email, name of supervisor/contact, name of the employer, address of the employer, and details of the internship.
2. Come to CWS drop-in hours, Monday to Friday 12:30pm to 2:00pm in GRH 442. Bring the note in step 1 to drop-in hours. The CWS will have your letter available as soon as possible.
3. If your internship site will not accept the letter, please come to CWS drop-in hours.
Many organizations may require course credit because of the Fair Labor Standards Act. To read more, click here.