Making timely accommodation requests are essential.
Some accommodation requests require more extensive activities to evaluate and/or to implement and involve greater time than other requests.
In general, the College seeks to act upon a request for accommodation within two weeks after the individual has submitted the necessary paperwork and information.
Please note the following exceptions and additional nuances:
- All entering first-year and transfer students are asked to submit requests for accommodation for disability by June 10 preceding their admission in the Fall semester (or by December 15 preceding their admission in the Spring semester). (If the need for the accommodation is not known by those dates, the individual should submit the request as soon as possible after the need is identified.)
- Housing accommodation requests are to be made three weeks before the housing lottery. Please note that student housing accommodation requests are reviewed by a committee that includes representatives from Health Services, Counseling Services, Residential Life, Housing and Transportation, and Disability Services.
- Exam accommodation requests are to be sent to professors prior to the start of each semester and at least by the add/drop period. Arrangements for accommodations with faculty members are to be made once letters have been sent at least two weeks prior to an exam).
- Interpreting and Communication Assisted Realtime Transcription (CART) Services (request preregistration for classes and make interpreting and CART requests at that time, request nonclass services of this type as early as possible but provide at least two weeks notice).
- Requests for architectural access modifications or physical adaptations should be made at least three weeks in advance of the individual's use of the location, to the extent such is known in advance.
- Alternative format text (students request preregistration so that you can contact faculty members regarding book lists; provide books and articles to disability services as early as possible and preferably one month prior to your need).
- Notetaking accommodation requests should be made at time of registration and preferably no later than the add/drop period.
Please note that if the need for an accommodation is not known before the time periods referenced above, the individual should submit the request as soon as possible after the need is identified.