Contact the Director of International Studies, Jennifer Thomas-Starck, at the Study Abroad Office or visit the Office of International Studies' website for more information on Scholarships.

Mayling Soong Foundation

What: The Mayling Soong Foundation has limited funding to support students who undertake Chinese language study in China or Taiwan; Japanese language study at Princeton in Ishikawa, Hokkaido International Foundation, or International Christian University; and study abroad summer programs in Korea. Please see the First-class conference, "Mayling Soong Committee" for further information, deadlines and application forms.
Application due: early April

Bridging Scholarships

What: The Association of Teachers of Japanese Bridging Project accepts applications from American students participating in study abroad programs in Japan. Funding from private foundations and major US corporations has made it possible for ATJ to award up to 30 scholarships to assist students with the travel and living expenses they will incur while studying abroad in Japan.
Eligibility: Undergraduate students majoring in any field of study. Japanese language study is not a prerequisite. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents and be enrolled in a college or university in the U.S.
Award: $2,500 Stipend for students on semester programs, and $4,000 Stipend for students on academic year programs. Students attending programs at four-year Japanese universities may also be eligible for a supplementary monthly stipend from the Japanese government through the Association for International Education, Japan (AIEJ).
Contact: Bridging Project Clearinghouse, Association of Teachers of Japanese, Campus Box 279, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 803309-0279; Tel: 303.492.5487, Fax: (303) 492.5856, Email:
Application due: early April and early October

Monbusho Scholarships

What: The Monbusho Japanese Studies award is offered by the Japanese government. The award is designed for undergraduate students who are specializing in Japanese language or culture and wish to pursue their studies in Japan. The term of stay is one academic year, beginning in September or October and ending the following year. All applicants are required to take a Japanese language examination and complete an interview.
Eligibility: Applicants must be U.S. citizens, between the ages of 18 and 29, and must be undergraduate students studying Japanese language or culture at an institution outside of Japan. Applicants should have knowledge of the Japanese language.
Award: Grant includes round trip airfare, exemption from all school fees, arrival allowance of 25,000 yen and a stipend of 142,500 yen per month.
Contact: Consulate General of Japan, Federal Reserve Plaza, 14th floor, 600 Atlanta Ave., Boston, MA 02210; Tel: 617.973.9772, Fax: 617.542.1329
Application due: March


For current information, please visit their website at Freeman-ASIA.