Spring 2014 Seminars and Writing Courses
This October, the Class of 2017 will be able to pre-register for First-Year Seminars offered in the spring semester, and will also be able to make any necessary changes to their enrollment in First-Year Writing Courses offered in the spring. This page will tell you:
What you need to know (including courses and descriptions and forms)
- All first-year students should consider whether they want to take a first-year seminar in the spring, by reviewing the course offerings and the schedule, considering their overall plans, and consulting with their faculty advisor. If they do want to take a seminar, they should indicate up to three preferences through the on-line app. Deadline: November 1.
- First-year students without a firm spring writing course should let Prof. Velenchik know their preferences for a writing course. Deadline: October 25.
- Other first-year students who want to change their spring writing course should let Prof. Velenchik know about that. Deadline: November 7.
- All first-year students should register in Banner for courses other than seminars and writing courses on November 15.
- Oct. 16: All first-year students will receive an email with the link to this webpage with details about process for ranking seminars and requesting changes to writing courses; students who do not yet have a placement in a spring writing course will receive a separate email from the Director of the Writing Program about the steps they will take to rank writing courses.
- Oct. 21: Spring schedule for all courses, including their meeting times, is posted.
- Oct. 25: Placements for students who did not already have a spring writing course will be finalized.
- Oct. 29-Nov. 1: preregistration app for spring seminars is live, and students can submit their preferences for these courses.
- Nov. 2: Preregistration program will run and determine which students will be pre-registered for which seminars; preference will be given to students who did not take a fall seminar.
- Nov. 5: Seminar placements to be shared with students.
- Nov. 5-8: All students can request changes to spring writing placements.
- Nov. 8: All changes to spring writing courses are finalized.
- Nov. 15: First-year registration in Banner for courses other than seminars and writing courses.
- First-Year Writing Courses for Spring 2014
- First-Year Writing Course Schedule for Spring 2014
- First-Year Seminars for Spring 2014
- Full Spring 2014 Course Schedule (available through the Course Browser on October 21)
- Form for Requesting a Change to your Spring 2014 Writing Course (print this form, fill it out, and turn it in to the Writing Program office in 124 Founders; please DO NOT email it back)