News and Noteworthy
Winter Season Precautions
As everyone is aware, winter is hitting its full stride on campus. The College facilities team will continue its annual work to remove snow and limit the amount of ice that we all confront. But a significant portion of the responsibility for controlling winter slips and falls rest with each one of us who works and lives here. The following are a few quick tips for helping yourself and others stay safe:
- When arriving on campus, please take advantage of covered parking in the Davis Parking facility if possible, and be aware of any ice or snow around your car as you step out onto the surface lots.
- Avoid sidewalks or stairwells that have not yet been cleared or treated, and be patient if some of the steeper slopes or smaller stairwells are unsafe during storms or early in the morning. A slightly longer trip using open pathways will assure you arrive more safely, and couldn’t we all use a little extra exercise in the winter anyway!
- Please always wear appropriate footwear.
- Plan ahead to avoid the need to rush, or call ahead to let people know you will be late. Walking too quickly or running could lead to far greater challenges in the future.
- Safe travel in winter is everyone’s responsibility. Please report any hazardous or difficult conditions to the Facilities Management Service Desk at x2767 during working hours and Campus Police at x2121 at all other times. Someone will be directed to the problem area.
- If faculty, staff or student workers suffer a fall, please complete the Workers Compensation Accident Reporting Form whether you seek medical attention or not, and submit the completed form to Human Resources.
The campus is always beautiful and especially picturesque during the winter season. We hope that these simple steps will help us all continue to enjoy our surroundings and stay safe.