Students in J-1 status may be eligible for Academic Training (AT). AT is a temporary period of part or full-time, paid or unpaid employment that is directly related to a student‘s field of study. This employment may take place when school is in session, during vacation period, or after completion of a program of study.
To be eligible for AT you must:
- Be enrolled full-time
- Be in good academic standing
- Obtain a specific offer of employment that is directly related to your field of study
- Be recommended by your Class Dean for specific training
- The maximum period of AT that can be authorized is 18 months, but it cannot be longer than the total length of your program of academic study (i.e. if you are enrolled in a 4 month program you will be eligible for a 4 month period of AT).
- AT must be authorized no later than 30 days after completion of program; and extension of stay will be authorized beginning the day after the program end date on your DS-2019 so that your Form DS-2019 remains valid.
- AT must be approved by both your Academic Advisor and your International Student Advisor (ISSA).
- AT is counted at a full-time rate regardless of whether it is full or part-time.
- Earning more than one degree does not increase your time eligibility for AT
- You must show documentation that you have sufficient funds to cover your housing, food and personal expenses for the additional time period before AT will be authorized
- You are responsible for maintaining the required health insurance for J-1 Exchange Visitors for yourself and any J-2 dependents during your AT.
When to Apply
If you are applying AT, you must apply before you begin employment. For Pre-completion AT you must apply at lease one week before you intend to begin your employment. For Post-completion AT you must apply at least 1 week before your program end date on your Form DS-2019.
How to Apply
STEP ONE: EMPLOYER LETTER
l Obtain a job/internship offer
l Ask your employer to write a letter addressed to your Class Dean with the following information:
□ The name of the company
□ The address of the company
□ The name and title of your supervisor
□ The exact beginning and ending dates of your employment period
□ Whether the internship is full-time or part-time
□ The amount of compensation, if any
□ Description of your responsibilities/duties
STEP TWO: CLASS DEAN RECOMMENDATION
l Complete Section I of the Class Dean Recommendation Form
l Give the form, along with a copy of your employer letter, to your Class Dean and ask him/her to complete Section II
STEP THREE: BRING THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS TO YOUR ISSA:
l Proof of Financial Support—Documentation that you have enough funds (anticipated or actual) to cover your living expenses for the duration of your Academic Training. Contact the ISA to determine the estimated expenses for the duration of your training period. If the compensation for your internship/employment will not be sufficient to cover your living expenses, you will also need to provide additional evidence of financial support from either your bank, or your parents/sponsor.
l Employer Letter
l Class Dean Recommendation Form
l Copy of your most recent entry stamp in your passport
l Proof of Continued Health Insurance—You must sign a new “J-1 Insurance Verification Form” certifying that you will have insurance in the amounts required for the J-1 Visitor Program for the duration of your stay and any J-2 Dependents (forms are available in the Slater International Center).
STEP FOUR: APPROVAL PROCESS
The ISA will review the documents and, if approved, will write a letter giving approval for Academic Training. A new Form DS-2019 will be issued to indicate an extension of stay for AT. You must meet with the ISSA to sign your new Form DS-2019 and obtain your employment authorization card.
PLEASE NOTE: THE PERIOD OF ACADEMIC TRAINING MAY NOT BEGIN UNTIL THE ABOVE STEPS ARE COMPLETED.