Orientation Programs for International Students
The Slater International Center coordinates two special program for entering international students: the International Student Orientation, and the Hostess Program. Registration and participation in the International Student Orientation Program is required for all non-immigrant students coming to Wellesley College. The Hostess Program is an optional program for international students travelling alone to the United States.
Orientation starts with the arrival of international students on Monday, August 28, 2017. The International Student Orientation Program runs for two days before the arrival of domestic students. This allows international students to arrive early, get over jet lag and get settled. Domestic students arrive for Orientation on Wednesday, August 30, 2017. A draft of the International Student Orientation schedule is available here, This draft gives a general idea of the topic areas of the program. A final International Student Orientation schedule will be available upon arrival.
The Hostess Program
The Wellesley College International Student Hostess Program is an optional program jointly coordinated by the local area Wellesley College Alumnae Clubs and the Slater International Center. It is designed to match Wellesley alumnae, faculty, and staff with incoming international students for cultural exchange, support and community building. The Hostess Program is not a “live-in” program although it does offer incoming international students the opportunity to arrive early and stay with a hostess for one or two nights before the Orientation program begins. Hostesses and international students often develop close relationships and remain connected throughout the students’ time at Wellesley and beyond.
International Students are eligible to participate in the Hostess Program each fall semester if:
- They are traveling Wellesley College alone. (Because of a limited number of hostesses, students who are traveling with family members or who have family members in the area are not eligible for this program.)
- They have an arrival date no more than two days before the start of the Orientation Program.
- They maintain regular communication with both the Slater International Center staff and the designated hostess.
How Does the Hostess Program Work?
During the Summer:
- Newly admitted and eligible international students may register for the Hostess Program through their MyWellesley portal.
- Students will be matched with a hostess and receive a match letter by the end of July.
- Upon being matched, students must contact their hostess via the contact information provided in their match letter to confirm their arrival information and open a channel of communication.
- Students must begin a dialogue with their hostess prior to their arrival to the U.S.
- Hostesses will arrange to pick up their student from the airport one to two days before the Orientation program.
At the Start of the First Year:
- Students will be invited to stay in the hostess’ home until the start of the Orientation program.
- Hostesses will bring their student to campus to move into her Residence Hall on the first day of the Orientation Program.
During the School Year:
- Students and hostesses can stay in touch and maintain their relationships during the school year by communicating by email, attending college activities together, celebrating holidays together and or spending time casual time together.
For more information about the Hostess Program please contact:
Amy Rindskopf, Hostess Program Alumna Coordinator
Karen Zuffante Pabon, Director of the Slater International Center
Hostess Program Materials