- Slater International Center
- Meet Our Staff
- Entering Students
- Current Students
- Visiting Students
- For Graduating Seniors
- Scholars & Faculty
- UWC at Wellesley
- Living in the U.S.
- Forms & Resources
- Reserving Slater
- International Student Statistics
The Hostess Program
The Wellesley College International Student Hostess Program is an optional program jointly coordinated by the local area Wellesley College Alumnae Clubs and the Slater International Center. It is designed to match Wellesley alumnae, faculty, and staff with incoming international students for cultural exchange, support and community building. The Hostess Program is not a “live-in” program although it does offer incoming international students the opportunity to arrive early and stay with a hostess for one or two nights before the Pre-Orientation Program. Hostesses and international students often develop close relationships and remain connected throughout the students’ time at Wellesley and beyond.
International Students are eligible to participate in the Hostess Program each fall semester if:
- They are traveling Wellesley College alone. (Because of a limited number of hostesses, students who are traveling with family members or who have family members in the area are not eligible for this program.)
- They have an arrival date two days before the start of the Pre-Orientation program.
- They maintain regular communication with both the Slater International Center staff and the designated hostess.
How Does the Hostess Program Work?
During the Summer:
- Newly admitted and eligible international students may register for the Hostess Program on their MyWellesley New Student Checklist.
- Students will be matched with a hostess and receive a match letter by the end of July.
- Upon being matched, students must contact their hostess via the contact information provided in their match letter to confirm their arrival information and open a channel of communication.
- Students must begin a dialogue with their hostess prior to their arrival to the U.S.
- Hostesses will arrange to pick up their student from the airport one to two days before the Pre-Orientation program.
At the Start of the First Year:
- Students will be invited to stay in the hostess’ home until the start of the Pre-Orientation program.
- Hostesses will bring their student to campus to move into her Residence Hall on the first day of the Pre-Orientation Program.
During the School Year:
- Students and hostesses can stay in touch and maintain their relationships during the school year by communicating by email, attending college activities together, celebrating holidays together and or spending time casual time together.
For more information about the Hostess Program please contact:
Amy Rindskopf, Hostess Program Alumna Coordinator
Karen Zuffante Pabon, Director of the Slater International Center
Hostess Program Materials
The 2014 Pre-Orientation is a three day program that runs from Friday, August 22nd, to Sunday, August 24th. It allows you to arrive on campus early, meet other international students, begin to get settled, and learn about resources at Wellesley College.
Orientation for all new students at Wellesley begins August 25th. Find out more!
Many students find these programs to be extremely valuable to their adjustment process. To participate in these programs, please complete and return the Pre-Orientation Attendance and Hostess Request Form by July 1st.