- Library & Technology
- Hours & Locations
- Library Collections
- Library Research
- Technology Support
- Google Apps
- Classroom Technology
- Instructional Technology
- Multimedia Projects
- Media Services
- Self-Service Requests
- Wellesley Initiative for Sustainable Computing (WISC)
- Getting Started
- About Us
- Friends of the Library
Wellesley Google Apps Email Aliases
The information below explains how usernames and alternate email addresses (email aliases) are assigned and can be used with your Wellesley Google Apps account.
- What alternate email addresses are created
- Find your alternate email addresses
- Use your alternate email addresses
- Request preferred names, or official name changes
The Wellesley College Identity Management System (WIDM) creates your Wellesley Domain Account with a username, primary email address, and alternate email addresses (email aliases) that you can use for sending and receiving email.
For Alumnae that are receiving Google Apps for Education accounts, the username you receive will be the Wellesley username you had as a student.
If you have changed your official name with the college or registered a preferred name, additional aliases will be added to your account for those names.
Username and primary email address:
An up to eight character username is created using the first letter of your first name and the first seven letters of your last name. It may include numbers for those with common last names. Your primary email address is your email@example.com.
Alternate email addresses:
Several alternate email addresses are created for your account based on the information registered with the College:
- If your last name is longer than 7 characters, an address of your first initial and your full last name @wellesley.edu.
- Your official first name, a period, then your full official last name @wellesley.edu.
- Your preferred first name (if desired), a period, then your full last firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If email addresses for your name are already in use by someone else at Wellesley, you will receive email addresses that may include your middle initial and/or numbers at the end of your name.
- If you have officially changed your name, you will receive additional aliases based on the above criteria. Your previous aliases will continue to work as usual.
If your official name is Janet Wellesley, but your preferred name is Jane, you would receive a username of jwellesl, a primary email address of email@example.com, and altername email addresses of firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you have access to your Wellesley Google Apps account, follow the directions below to find your alternate email addresses.
- Login to your Google Apps account.
- In your Gmail Inbox, click on the wheel button in the top right corner, under your email address, and choose Settings.
- Click on the Accounts tab and click Google Accounts Settings.
- You will see a list the alternate email addresses for your account.
- All email to these aliases will go to your Wellesley Gmail Inbox, whether or not you follow the steps below to add them to your account.
To make an alternate email address your primary email address (this does not change your username), or to make them available as reply-to addresses, follow these directions:
- Login to your Google Apps account.
- In your Inbox, click on the wheel button in the top right corner, under your email address, and choose Settings.
- Click in the Accounts tab and click Add another email address you own.
- Enter the name you would like to appear on your emails, and an alternate email address you would like to use and click Next Step, then Send Verification.
- Check your Gmail Inbox for a new email from Google and enter that verification code in the Verificaton popup window.
- After you have verified that email address, if you want this address to be your primary address, go back to Settings > Accounts, and next to the email address you want to use, click Make Default.
- This will make that address your primary email address when creating new emails or replying to existing ones. Email sent to your previous primary address and you other alternate addresses will still arrive in your Gmail Inbox.
To add/update your preferred name, or change your name, please contact the appropriate office:
- Current faculty and staff can contact Human Resources.
- Current students can contact the Office of the Registrar.
- Alumnae can email email@example.com.
Once you have officially changed your name, you will receive additional aliases. You will not be notified about the new aliases, but you can check them at any time (see instructions above).