- Library & Technology
- Hours & Locations
- Library Collections
- Library Research
- Technology Support
- Getting Started
- About Us
- Friends of the Library
Wellesley has an institution wide preference to purchase EPEAT Gold computers and monitors.
- Print double-sided (duplex printing), instructions for:
Print 2 pages (or more for PowerPoint) on a page
- Shake the toner cartridge from side to side when printer reads "toner low"
- Purchase high-yield toner and recycled paper
- Use "Print Preview" before printing to make sure you know how long a document is and that you're only printing what you need
- Only print a document once unless you get an error message -- if the document doesn't print make sure you are printing to the correct printer
- Shut down printers, scanners, and computers at night (plug USB-powered scanners into computers only when needed)
- Check your computer energy settings and set the computer to sleep after a reasonable period of inactivity. The following recommendations can be adjusted to your individual needs:
- Go to the Start menu > Control Panel > Power Options . If you do not see the "Power Options" icon click "Classic View" on the left hand side.
- Turn off monitor: After 20 mins
- Turn off hard disks: After 1 hr
- System standby: After 2 hrs
- Go to the Apple menu > System Preferences > Energy Saver > Sleep tab.
- Put the computer to sleep when it's been inactive for: 1 hr
- Put the display to sleep when it's been inactive for: 20 mins
- Put the hard disks to sleep when possible: check box
- Make information available online instead of in print format
- Edit documents using track changes instead of using printed documents for editing
- Recycle batteries in designated boxes in Knapp
What not to do
- Don't reuse already printed paper in the printers (it causes jams)