- Library & Technology
- Hours & Locations
- Library Collections
- Library Research
- Technology Support
- Getting Started
- About Us
- Friends of the Library
Installing LaTeX on Mac OS
Prepare to set aside at least an hour of your time to install LaTeX. You should also be on campus or using a high-speed internet connection, since you will have to download a large file. If you have any difficulty while installing the software, bring your laptop to the Help Desk in Clapp Library or email firstname.lastname@example.org with a description of the problem.
To install LaTeX applications on your Mac:
- Visit http://tug.org/mactex/ and click on the MacTeX.pkg link to download the installer (if prompted, click Keep). The file is quite large (~2 GB), so be prepared to wait a bit while it downloads.
- Once the file has downloaded, double-click on MacTeX.pkg to begin the installation.
- Read and accept the conditions, then follow the on-screen instructions to install the program.
The installation may take over half an hour.
- After the installation is complete, you can delete the downloaded MacTeX.pkg file.
- You will find the installed programs under Applications | TeX. TeXShop is the editor that you will use to create and edit LaTeX documents.
When you are ready to begin using LaTeX, you may find this website helpful: