- Library & Technology
- Hours & Locations
- Library Collections
- Library Research
- Technology Support
- Google Apps
- Classroom Technology
- Instructional Technology
- Multimedia Projects
- Media Services
- Self-Service Requests
- Getting Started
- About Us
- Friends of the Library
Convert a Cassette to Audio CD
Convert audio cassettes to audio CDs at Knapp Station 19
Where to find the Equipment to do this
Knapp Media and Technology Center - Station 19
• TASCAM 202 CD-RW 750 Audio CD recorder/burner, Labeled ( B )
• Soundcraftsman Amplifier, Labeled ( A )
• TASCAM 202 MK III Cassette Player, Labeled ( C )
- A digital audio CD (CD-R or CD-RW)
- Time. This is a real-time process, meaning it will take 60 minutes to record a 60-minute tape. There is NO high-speed recording.
- To make sure the amount of time available to record on the CD-R or CD-RW matches that of the record. If not, plan ahead of time how you want to divide it into separate CDs.
- To pay attention to the labels on the equipment. Pictures are also provided in this documentation to make the identification of the equipment simple.
To record/burn an Audio Cassette to a CD:
Make sure you follow these instructions carefully
1. Plug in your headset into the phones jack, Labeled (E ), on the TASCAM CD recorder/burner Labeled ( B ). This will allow you to listen to what you are recording.
2. Turn on the equipment in the order listed below:
- the amplifier, Labeled ( A ).
- the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner, Labeled ( B ).When you turn on the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner it should say “Welcome” and then “No disc.”
- the cassette player, Labeled ( C ).
3. Turn the Source knob, Labeled ( G) , that points to AV, phono, tuner & CD on the amplifier ( A ) to Tuner. Do not rely on the visual markings of the knob it may be off. Make sure it’s the first notch down from the top.
4. Open the CD deck of the TASCAM CD-RW (B ) and place your CD title side up, then close the deck. The screen on the machine will then display "TOC Reading." Once it is done reading, the CD it will display "No TOC" on the upper left hand corner in a box, and "Total 0tr 0:00" on the screen.
Useful Information About Your CD-R or CD-RW
- TOC means Table of Contents and it tells you whether or not your CD has data already on it. If your CD is blank it should have No Table of Contents (No TOC). If a CD has data on it, it will show the number of tracks as well as the amount of time recorded on it.
- If a CD is NOT finalized you can use it and add more tracks . If it is finalized you will not be able to modify it, meaning you will not be able to add any more tracks.
- Please note that even though you can use a CD-RW, some machines may have problems with it.
5. Find the Input Select button, which is above the knob labeled ( H ), on the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ) and push it until it says Analog on the right side of the screen.
6. Put the cassette into the TASCAM Cassette Player ( C ). Make sure you have set the amplifier ( A ) to Tuner as specified in Step 3.
Testing your sound levels (Note: You are really not recording!)
7. Push the Record button on the TASCAM recorder/burner ( B ).
8. After you push Record the screen will tell you it is "Waiting." Immediately after, the screen will display "1tr 0:00". At this point the system is waiting, NOT recording, it is paused, allowing you to set the sound levels.
9. Press Play on the TASCAM Cassette Player ( C ). At this point you should be hearing your cassette in your headphones. If you do not get sound, try the Source Knob ( G) again, and check to make sure the headphones are plugged into CD-RW recorder/burner (B ).
10. In order to make sure the sound quality on your recording is satisfactory look at the sound meter of the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ). The volume knob ( H ) will adjust the sound levels turn it clockwise to increase sound and counterclockwise to decrease the sound. Set the sound level to your preference. Pay close attention and be careful with, headphone volume and the sound levels on the meter of the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ).
Starting the recording
11. When the volume is set to your satisfaction push Stop and then Rewind on the TASCAM Cassette Player ( C ). to where you want to begin recording.
12. To begin recording push Pause on the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ) , and press play on the TASCAM Cassette Player ( C ). If the clock is not counting on the CD-RW recorder/burner, you are not recording !
13. After recording/burning has begun, the display on the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ) should indicate track number and the amount of time into the recording.
Creating multiple tracks (Note: If there's only one track, skip down to step 18.)
14. If you have to turn over, switch, or record from a different place on the cassette push the Pause button on the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ). The screen will tell you it is "Waiting" and it will pause on the subsequent track.
15. If you need to:
- Flip or switch your cassette -- Press the Stop button and then the Eject button. Turn over or switch your tape then press play.
- Record from another part of the cassette -- Press the Stop button and then Rewind or Fast Forward as necessary.
16. To begin recording again push the Pause button. The screen will then indicate the amount of time recorded on that track. On the bottom of the screen there will be a display showing you how many tracks you have recorded.
17. If you want to create separate tracks on the CD press Pause on the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ) this will then create a separate track on the CD. Push Pause again to record the subsequent track. Repeat this as many times as needed for all tracks necessary.
18. When recording is complete, press the Stop button on the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ).
19. If you wish to test your new CD, switch the Source Knob ( G) on the amplifier ( A )< to CD, do not rely on the visual markings it may be off. Make sure it’s the top notch, and press Play on the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ).
20. Until you Finalize your CD you may change records on it only if it's a CD-RW. You can remove the CD, use it again and add new tracks, and pick up where you left off but it will not play on standard CD players.
Finish (Note: CD will not work without completing the step.)
21. When the recording is complete, finalize your CD by pushing the Finalize button on the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ). The screen will display Text finalize ok? Turn/rotate the jog wheel (I) clockwise on the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ) located on the far right side and then press it to finalize your recording. Note: The wheel doesn't stop. Just turn it one turn. It can take several minutes to finalize your recording.
Once you are done
22. Test your CD on some of the equipment available at the Knapp Media Center. You should test it on a PC, a MAC, and a CD player. Make sure the sound levels are ok and the CD sounds good.
23. Turn off ALL the equipment, order does not matter, and remember to remove your CD and the cassette from the equipment. Also remember to take all your belongings.