- Library & Technology
- Hours & Locations
- Library Collections
- Library Research
- Technology Support
- Google Apps
- Classroom Technology
- Instructional Technology
- Multimedia Projects
- Media Services
- Self-Service Requests
- Wellesley Initiative for Sustainable Computing (WISC)
- Getting Started
- About Us
- Friends of the Library
Convert an LP Record to Audio CD
Convert an LP Record to Audio CD
Where to find the Equipment to do this
Knapp Media and Technology Center - Station 19
• TASCAM 202 CD-RW 750 Audio CD recorder/burner, Labeled ( B )
•Soundcraftsman Amplifier, Labeled ( A )
•Turntable, Labeled ( F)
• A digital audio CD (CD-R or CD-RW), it is no longer restricted to one type of disc any CD-R or CD-RW works.
• Time. This is a real-time process, meaning it will take 60 minutes to record a 60-minute LP. There is NO high-speed recording.
• To make sure the amount of time available to record on the CD-R or CD-RW matches that of the record. If not, plan ahead of time how you want to divide it into separate CDs.
• To pay attention to the labels on the equipment. Pictures are also provided in this documentation to make the identification of the equipment simple.
Make sure you follow these instructions carefully
To record/burn an LP to a CD:
1. Plug in your headset into the phones jack, Labeled (E ), on the TASCAM CD recorder/burner Labeled ( B ) . This will allow you to listen to what you are recording.
2. Turn the equipment on in the order listed below:
• 1st: the amplifier, Labeled ( A ) .
• 2nd: the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner, Labeled ( B ) .When you turn on the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner it should say “Welcome” and then “No disc.”
• 3rd: the turntable, Labeled ( F) .
3. Turn the Source knob, Labeled ( G) , that points to AV, phono, tuner & CD on the amplifier ( A ) to Phono. Do not rely on the visual markings of the knob they may be off. Make sure it’s the first notch up from the bottom.
4. Open the CD deck of the TASCAM CD-RW (B ) and place your CD title side up, then close the deck. The screen on the machine will then display "TOC Reading." Once it is done reading the CD it will display "No TOC" on the upper left hand corner in a box, and "Total 0tr 0:00" on the screen.
Useful Information About Your CD-R or CD-RW :
• TOC means Table of Contents and it tells you whether or not your CD has data already on it. If your CD is blank it should have No Table of Contents (No TOC). If a CD has data on it, it will show the number of tracks as well as the amount of time recorded on it.
• If a CD is NOT finalized you can use it and add more tracks . If it is finalized you will not be able to modify it, meaning you will not be able to add anymore tracks.
• Please note that even though you can use a CD-RW, some machines may have problems with it.
5. Find the Input Select button, which is above the knob labeled ( H ) , on the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ) and push it until it says Analog on the right side of the screen.
6. Wipe the LP record clean with a lint free cloth or a white glove and place the LP record onto the turntable ( F) . Make sure the playing arm is not locked, that you have checked the size and speed of the LP record to make sure they correspond to the size and speed of your recording (30cm or 17 cm & 45rpm or 33rpm), and that the Repeat button light on the turntable, is OFF.
7. Push the Record button on the TASCAM recorder/burner ( B ) .
8. After you push Record the screen will tell you it is "Waiting." Immediately after the screen will display "1tr 0:00" At this point the system is waiting, NOT recording, it is paused, allowing you to set the sound levels.
9. Push the Start button on the right hand side of the turntable. When the arm moves over the LP record, push the Lifter button to lower the arm and play the record. NOTE: If the red light on the Lifter button is on, it means the LIFT is up, meaning the arm is not on the LP record. You should therefore push the Lifter button to lower the arm and play the record. At this point you should be hearing your LP record in your headphones. If you do not get sound, try the Source Knob ( G) again, and check to make sure the headphones are plugged into CD-RW recorder/burner (B ).
10. In order to make sure the sound quality on your recording is satisfactory look at the sound meter of the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ). A level of “0” is the optimal recording level. The volume knob ( H ) will adjust the sound levels turn it clockwise to increase sound and counterclockwise to decrease the sound. Set the sound level to your preference. Pay close attention and be careful with, headphone volume and the sound levels on the meter of the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ).
11. When the volume is set to your satisfaction push the Lifter button and then return the arm to the beginning of the LP record or where you want to begin recording.
12. Be sure to coordinate the timing of the record player and the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ). Press Start on the turntable ( F) and Record on the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ) at the same time OR make sure the timing is correct when you press Start and when you want to begin to record.
13. To begin recording you need to push Pause on the TASCAMCD-RW recorder/burner ( B ) NOTE:When you initially pressed Record it allowed you to set the sound levels and the system was paused, it did not actually begin recording. Pressing Pause will then allow you to begin burning your CD.
14. After recording/burning has begun the display on the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ) should indicate track number and the amount of time into the recording.
15. If you have to turn over, switch, or wish to record from a different place on the LP record , push the Pause button on the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ). The screen will tell you it is "Waiting" and it will pause on the subsequent track.
16. If you need to:
• Flip or switch your LP record -- Push the Lifter button on the turntable ( F) to lift the arm and then push the Stop button. You should then flip or switch your LP record and then push the Start button and the Lifter button on the turntable ( F) to lower the arm.
• Record from another part of the LP record -- Push the Lifter button on the turntable ( F) to lift the arm. Place the arm where you want to begin recording and then push the Lifter button on the turntable ( F) again to lower the arm and begin playing the record.
17. To begin recording again, push the Pause button. The screen will then indicate the amount of time recorded on that track. On the bottom of the screen there will be a display showing you how many tracks you have recorded.
18. If you want to create separate tracks on the CD press Pause on the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ) this will then create a separate track on the CD. Push Pause again to record the subsequent track. Repeat this as many times as needed for all tracks necessary.
19. When recording is complete, press the Stop button on the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ) .
20. If you wish to test your new CD, switch the Source Knob ( G) on the amplifier ( A ) to CD, do not rely on the visual markings; it may be off. Make sure it’s the third notch up from the bottom, and press Play on the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ) .
21. Until you Finalize your CD you may change records on it only if it's a CD-RW. You can remove the CD, use it again and add new tracks, and pick up where you left off but it will not play on standard CD players.
22. When the recording is complete, finalize your CD by pushing the Finalize button on the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ). The screen will display Text finalize yes? Turn/rotate the jog wheel clockwise on the TASCAM CD-RW recorder/burner ( B ) located on the far right side and then press it to finalize your recording. It can take several minutes to finalize your recording.
Once you are done
23. Test your CD on some of the equipment available at the Knapp Media Center. You should test it on a PC, a MAC, and a CD player. Make sure the sound levels are ok and the CD sounds good.
24. Turn off ALL the equipment, order does not matter and remember to remove your CD and the LP from the equipment. Also remember to take all your belongings.