- Library & Technology
- Hours & Locations
- Library Collections
- Library Research
- Technology Support
- Getting Started
- About Us
- Friends of the Library
First-Time User Guide for Mac OS X
First-time Users Guide for the Secure SSL VPN
Please follow the steps below to verify your system requirements, then proceed to the connecting and logging into the Secure SSL VPN, and finally make sure you disconnect from the Secure SSL VPN when you are not using the Secure resources.
- Validate your System Requirements
- Connect and Login to the Secure SSL VPN
- Disconnect from the Secure SSL VPN
- Make sure you have a supported version of Mac OS X.
- In the menubar, click on the Apple logo and select About this Mac.
- This guide is for OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8.
- The Secure SSL VPN is not supported on versions of OS X before 10.6.
- Check for Mac OS X Software Updates
- In the menubar, click on the Apple logo and select Software Update.
- Install any updates listed for either the Operation System (10.6.8, 10.7.2, 10.8.1, etc.), Security Updates, or Java. Restart if required.
- There are no anti-virus requirements for Mac OS X at this time.
The Secure SSL VPN website and directions below will NOT work when you are on-campus. You must be either off-campus, or stop by the Computing Help Desk to setup the Secure SSL VPN.
Install the AnyConnect Client
- Download the AnyConnect Client from Google Drive.
- You will need to login to your Wellesley Google account to download.
- If you get an access denied error, log out of all your Google accounts and click on the link again.
- Open the anyconnect.dmg file to mount the disk image.
- Inside the disk image, double-click on AnyConnect to start the install.
- Proceed through the installer
- Click Continue,
- Click Continue,
- Click Agree,
- Click Continue,
- Click Install.
- Login with the account used to login to your computer.
- When the install finishes, click Close.
- You can now close, unmount, and delete the installer.
Using the AnyConnect Client
- Launch the Cisco AnyConnect Client using one of the methods below:
- Search for AnyConnect and launch the application
- Go to your Applications folder, Cisco folder, and launch the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.
- In the VPN: field, type vpn.wellesley.edu/secure and click Connect.
- Enter your Domain Account in the popup window and click OK.
- You are now connected to the Secure SSL VPN. A globe with a lock will appear in the menubar, and the AnyConnect icon in the dock will now have a lock next to it:
- Menubar icon:
- Dock Icon:
It is good practice to disconnect from the Secure SSL VPN when you have finished using the secure resources, or before putting your computer to sleep. This will speed up your internet connection for other non-secure activity, and keep the secure resources secure.
To disconnect from the Secure SSL VPN, quit any applications using the secure resources, and then quit the Cisco AnyConnect Client. To quit the client, in the menubar, click on the Cisco AnyConnect Client globe icon and select Quit. The client will first disconnect your computer from the Secure SSL VPN and then quit the application. You may notice a brief interruption in your internet connection.
Now that you have complete the First-Time Setup and are familiar with the application, the next time you need to use the Secure SSL VPN, you can use our Quick Reference Guide to the Secure SSL VPN instead of going through this long process again.