- Library & Technology
- Hours & Locations
- Library Collections
- Library Research
- Technology Support
- Getting Started
- About Us
- Friends of the Library
Organize references and images in a snap!
- Create databases of citations of books, articles, and web sites
- Keep track of your notes for papers
- Format bibliographies and in-text citations and footnotes, in a style of your choice, for your papers
- Watch bibliographies appear as you write
- Available for Windows and Macintosh computers
- What is EndNote?
- Who Can Use the EndNote Software?
- System Requirements
- Download EndNote
- EndNote Documentation and Help
- Output Styles, Import Filters and Connection Files
What is EndNote?
- EndNote is a reference database -- it specializes in storing, managing, and searching for bibliographic references in your private reference library.
- EndNote is a bibliography and manuscript maker -- it formats citations and figures in Microsoft Word with the Cite While You Write Microsoft Word Add-In (installed automatially). Watch the bibliography and figure list appear as you insert citations in your manuscript.
Who Can Use the EndNote Software?
Library & Technology Services has purchased an EndNote software site license for the Wellesley College community. EndNote may be installed on any computer owned by Wellesley College. Faculty, staff, and students may also install it on their own personal computers. This will be a fully functioning version available for use on or off-campus.
When you leave Wellesley, either due to graduation or leaving employment, you must uninstall EndNote from your personal computers.
Currently, EndNote X6 is available for both the Windows and Macintosh platforms and can be downloaded from the NTM Server. See directions below in the Download Endnote section of this document.
Click here for system requirements.
EndNote X6 can be found on the College's NTM server. Please note it is a large program and download may take several minutes, depending on the speed of your computer and connection.
For Windows Computers:
- Here's information on getting to NTM
- From NTM go to -> EndNote -> X6, drag the EndNotePC folder to your desktop.
- Once the EndNotePC folder has finished copying to your desktop, open it and click on the ENX6Inst.msi file to install the software.
- Follow the prompts and when given the option, select typical installation rather than the custom installation.
- After installation drag EndNotePC folder to the trash.
For Macintosh Computers:
- From the desktop, click on the Go menu.
- Select Connect to Server. In the Address: field, type smb://NTM and click Connect.
- The SMB/CIFS Filesystem Authentication window will pop up. In the Username field, type your domain user name. In the Password field, type your domain password. Click OK. The SMB Mount window will pop up.
- Scroll down the list and select EndNote. Click OK.
- A folder will appear on your desktop. Open the X6 folder, then open the EndNoteMac folder.
- Drag the file inside that folder, "EndNote X6 Site Installer.dmg", to your desktop.
- Double-click on "EndNote X6 Site Installer.dmg". A window will pop up telling you to drag the EndNote X6 folder in the window to your Applications folder. Drag the folder in the window into your actual Applications folder, not the image of the Applications folder in the window (see screenshot below.)
- After installation, drag both the EndNote X6 folder and "EndNote X6 Site Installer.dmg" file from your desktop into the Trash.
EndNote X6 Toolbar in Microsoft Word: After you have installed EndNote on your computer, be sure to open up Microsoft Word to ensure that the EndNote X6 toolbar is available. If it does not show up when you open Word, go to the View menu, highlight Toolbars, and click on EndNote X6 to enable the EndNote X6 toolbar. If the Endnote toolbar does not show up, or looks incomplete, please go to the EndNote Cite While You Write FAQ and follow the suggested troubleshooting tips.
Upgrading from a previous version of EndNote? The makers of EndNote recommend uninstalling previous versions of EndNote before upgrading to version X6. Before you do that, be sure to back up your EndNote libraries and any customized filters, connection files, and styles first.
EndNote X6 Documentation and Help
If your question can't easily be answered by the FAQ or Knowledgebase, please contact the Help Desk or the Clapp/Science reference librarians.
Output Styles, Import Filters and Connection Files
Are you looking for an updated output style, import filter, or connection file that wasn't included in Wellesley's EndNote installation? More are available on the EndNote Downloads page.
Some colleges supply connection files for the databases to which their library subscribes, but Wellesley College does not. Please use the import option or manual entry to get citations from those databases into your EndNote libraries instead.