Organize references and images in a snap!
- Create databases of citations of books, articles, and web sites
- Store and annotate your PDF's in one place
- Format bibliographies and in-text citations and footnotes, in a style of your choice, for your papers, watch bibliographies appear as you write
- Available for Windows and Mac
- What is EndNote?
- Who Can Use the EndNote Software?
- System Requirements
- Download EndNote
- EndNote Documentation and Help
- Output Styles, Import Filters and Connection Files
What is EndNote?
- EndNote is a reference database -- it specializes in storing, managing, and searching for bibliographic references in your private reference library.
- EndNote is a bibliography and manuscript maker -- it formats citations and figures in Microsoft Word with the Cite While You Write Microsoft Word Add-In (installed automatially). Watch the bibliography and figure list appear as you insert citations in your manuscript.
Who Can Use the EndNote Software?
Library & Technology Services has purchased an EndNote software site license for the Wellesley College community. EndNote may be installed on any computer owned by Wellesley College. Faculty, staff, and students may also install it on their own personal computers. This will be a fully functioning version available for use on or off-campus.
When you leave Wellesley, either due to graduation or leaving employment, you must uninstall EndNote from your personal computers.
Currently, EndNote X7 is available for both the Windows and Macintosh platforms and can be downloaded here.
Click here for system requirements.
Links to download EndNote X7, installation instructions, and the required Product Key can be found on this page. You must be on campus or using VPN to download. Please note it is a large program and download may take several minutes, depending on the speed of your computer and connection.
EndNote X7 Toolbar in Microsoft Word: After you have installed EndNote on your computer, be sure to open up Microsoft Word to ensure that the EndNote X7 toolbar is available. If it does not show up when you open Word, go to the View menu, highlight Toolbars, and click on EndNote X7 to enable the EndNote toolbar. If the Endnote toolbar does not show up, or looks incomplete, please go to the EndNote Cite While You Write FAQ and follow the suggested troubleshooting tips.
Upgrading from a previous version of EndNote? The makers of EndNote recommend uninstalling previous versions of EndNote before upgrading to version X7. Before you do that, be sure to back up your EndNote libraries and any customized filters, connection files, and styles first.
EndNote X7 Documentation and Help
If your question can't easily be answered by the FAQ or Knowledgebase, please contact the Help Desk or the Clapp/Science reference librarians.
Output Styles, Import Filters and Connection Files
Are you looking for an updated output style, import filter, or connection file that wasn't included in Wellesley's EndNote installation? More are available on the EndNote Downloads page.
Some colleges supply connection files for the databases to which their library subscribes, but Wellesley College does not. Please use the import option or manual entry to get citations from those databases into your EndNote libraries instead.