- Library & Technology
- Hours & Locations
- Library Collections
- Library Research
- Technology Support
- Getting Started
- About Us
- Friends of the Library
MICROSOFT SYSTEM CENTER 2012 ENDPOINT PROTECTION
Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection (SCEP 2012) is anti-virus software that has been licensed for use on College-owned Windows computers. College-owned Windows computers will be transitioned to SCEP beginning in 2013.
For personal Windows computers, we recommend Microsoft Security Essentials, which is the free home use version of SCEP 2012.
Install System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection
- Make sure you are logged into your Wellesley College Google account so that you can download the installers below.
- Click on this link to download the pre-install registry file.
- Within the Google Drive website (not your browser's menubar) go to File > Download and save the file.
- Click on this link to download the System Center 2012 installer.
- Within the Google Drive website (not your browser's menubar) go to File > Download and save the file (SCEP2012.WIN.zip).
- Double-click on the SystemCenter.zip file, then double-click on the systemcenter2012.reg inside it.
- When prompted to add the information to the registry, click Yes. This adds scanning exclusions for files used by Malwarebytes, so they do not conflict. Click Ok when the import was successful.
- Double-click the SCEPInstall.zip file, then double-click the SCEPInstall.exe inside it to launch the System Center 2012 installer.
- Wait for file extraction to finish and the installer to start.
- In the Welcome window, click Next
- In the License Terms window, click I accept
- Select I do not want to join the program at this time and click Next.
- Check the box to turn on Windows Firewall and click Next
- IMPORTANT: You should now see a Remove other security programs window, with McAfee VirusScan Enterprise listed, click Remove Now. If you have McAfee VirusScan installed and do not see this window, STOP the install and contact the Help Desk for help removing it before installing System Center 2012.
- Wait for McAfee to be removed and System Center 2012 to be installed. This takes about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Select Scan my computer, and click Finish.
- Enpoint Protection will now update, then scan your computer. This scan takes about 15-30 minutes. You can minimize this window and continue to work on your computer during the scan.
- MS System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection is now installed on your computer. It is scheduled to updated once a day, and do a quck scan daily in the background, when the computer is not in use. If any suspicious files are found, you will be notified via a popup window.
- You can do a full scan manually by launching System Center 2012 from either the Start Menu or the notification area, select a scan option (Quick, Full, or custom), then click Scan Now.