The Office of International Study and Student Financial Services work together to make study abroad affordable for Wellesley students and to guide students and their families through the billing and financial aid process for study abroad. We host mandatory workshops together each semester, our presentation, Study Abroad: Making Sense of Your Budget & Bills is linked below. Additional information on the financial aid process for study abroad is available on this page.
Student Financial Services Clearance
Students who receive financial aid must attend an SFS workshop (see Calendar for dates and times) or meet with an SFS counselor; students who do not receive financial aid must read the Affording Study Abroad information on the OIS website. All students should submit the SFS Study Abroad Clearance Form by April 1 for fall study abroad and November 1 for spring study abroad.
All students who study abroad will continue to be charged Wellesley College tuition but not room & board, with the following exceptions:
- Students studying on 12-College Exchange Programs will be billed by the host institution, NOT Wellesley.
- Students going to Spelman will be billed tuition by Wellesley and room & board by Spelman.
- Students studying abroad on a Wellesley College run program will in most cases be charged the Wellesley comprehensive fee covering tuition, room, board and in some cases airfare and other expenses.
- International Students who enroll at an accredited university in their home country or US residents with dual citizenship who enroll in an accredited university in a country for which they hold a passport will pay all fees directly to the university abroad and are not eligible for financial aid from Wellesley. (Students must petition the International Study Committee for study at any institutions not already approved for Wellesley transfer credit).
Your Wellesley Bill
- You will continue to receive an E-Bill and be expected to pay Wellesley according to the same timeline as if you were on campus. You will be billed for Wellesley tuition and health insurance if applicable for every semester you spend on a Study Abroad Leave of Absence.
Study Abroad Program Fees & Potential Expenses
|Fees you may be charged by your study abroad program||Potential Expenses|
|Room||Books & Supplies|
|Board||Personal Expenses (including local transportation)|
|Passport & Visa Fees|
|Food in Self-Catering Accommodations|
Wellesley Payments to Study Abroad Programs
- The Office of International Study will pay tuition charges to your program upon receipt of an invoice & after you have submitted all required confirmation materials.
- If your program charges a comprehensive program fee, the OIS will request a breakdown of this fee and pay only the tuition portion, the remaining balance is your responsibility.
- If you receive a bill that includes tuition, please contact the OIS & forward us a copy of your bill.
Students who normally receive financial aid remain eligible for aid while abroad. For more information, visit our Financial Aid for Study Abroad Page.
Program Budget Estimates
For an estimate of the total cost of attendance for your study abroad program, please refer to the Cost Estimate Worksheet.
Tuition Management Systems (TMS)
If you use TMS to make monthly payments to Wellesley you must contact them to adjust your contract to pay tuition only to Wellesley for your semester(s) abroad.
If you are on financial aid and are concerned about paying upfront for your flight expenses, consider STA's Airfare Deposit Program. The program will allow you to pay a $49 deposit, which will guarantee your flight price and be applied toward the final cost of your airfare. The remaining balance of your flight is not due until 7 days before departure. Terms and conditions apply.