Spring Break Safety Tips
Alcohol and Other Drugs
- The legal drinking age in all 50 states in the United States is 21. There are significant criminal penalties for underage possession and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages, depending on the jurisdiction.
- There are also severe criminal penalties for the illegal possession and/or use of fake identifications. Generally, in heavily visited spring break areas, police setup sting operations to capture fake ID.
- Buying, possessing, or using most drugs is illegal. Drugs can affect you both physically and mentally in unexpected ways. Taking any drug is a risky move, especially if you are mixing drugs and alcohol.
- Travel with someone you know and trust, and preferably with a larger group. Never allow members of your party to leave alone with strangers. Always travel in well-lighted areas.
- Don't carry all of your credit or bank cards in your wallet or purse. Carry the minimum amount of cash that you will need, including a little backup.
- Make sure your friends and relatives know where you will be vacationing, when you will depart, and when you expect to return. Call friends or family members to let then know that you have arrived and returned safely.
- If you are robbed, don't resist - give up any money, jewelry, or other valuables. Call 911 as soon as you can.
- Go partying with people you can rely on. Stick together, look out for each other and make sure everyone's safe. Especially watch out for friends who appear intoxicated.
- If a friend feels sick, don't leave them alone.
- If a member of your group passes out, turn them on their side to prevent choking and call 911 immediately.
- Don't drink and drive. Before you go out, designate a non-drinking driver. Remember to buckle up!
- Watch out for your drink and never accept an open drink from someone you don't know. If you have to leave your drink for any time, ensure you leave it with someone responsible who will watch it to ensure it doesn't get spiked with "date-rape" drugs, such as GHB, Ketamine, or Rophynol.