Winter Closing Memo
To: All Residents
From: Kris Niendorf, Assistant Dean of Students, Director of Residential and Campus Life
Re: December 2014 Residence Hall Closing and January 2015 Wintersession Information
- Final exams end on Friday, December 19, 2014. Students are expected to depart the Residence Halls 24 hours after their last exam.
- ALL RESIDENCE HALLS WILL CLOSE AT 5:00pm on Saturday, December 20, 2014. ID CARDS WILL BE DEACTIVATED AT 5:00pm. Failure to vacate the Residence Hall by this deadline will result in a fine of $50 per hour after 5:00pm.
- International Students should contact Diane O’Leary regarding extended housing options.
- Students with transportation problems may wait at Campus Police.
- Please be advised that Professional Staff will check all student rooms. Inspection of your room may begin on the day you depart, and will be completed by Saturday, December 20, 2014.
- Be sure to take all applicable safety precautions. You are required to unplug everything from your outlets. Please see checklist for additional safety and security precautions to take when leaving for break.
- Students’ personal belongings may not be left in common space, i.e. hallways, living rooms, TV rooms, kitchenettes, laundry rooms, and bathrooms. Items left in common space will be discarded.
- It is recommended that you take all valuable items home with you during the Wintersession holiday.
WINTER CLOSING CHECKLIST
- Unplug everything in your room
- Close and lock your windows
- Pull your shades
- Turn down the heat to #1 on your dial
- Close and lock your room door
Each residence hall will observe 23 hour quiet hours beginning at 8:00am on the first day of reading period which is December 10, 2014 and continue until the halls close on December 20, 2014 at 5:00pm.
RESIDENCE HALL ACCESS
- There will be absolutely no access to the Residence Halls after December 20, 2014 at 5:00pm until 9:00am on Saturday, January 24, 2015.
- Students should remove any needed belongings from storage areas before 5:00pm on December 20, 2014 as these areas will be locked until January 24, 2015.
|Sunday, January 4, 2015||Wintersession residence halls open at 12:00 noon|
|Monday, January 5, 2015||Wintersession classes begin|
|Thursday, January 22, 2015||
Wintersession residents must return to their spring-assigned rooms between 12:00 noon and 10:00pm.
*Albright must move by 5pm on Friday, January 23, 2015
|Friday, January 23, 2015||Wintersession classes end|
|Saturday, January 24, 2015||All halls open to returning students at 9:00am|
|Monday, January 26, 2015||Spring semester classes begin|
* Students who have received approval for Wintersession housing will be added to the Wintersession Housing Google group. Please monitor this group for important announcements.
- The last meal of fall semester will be lunch on Saturday, December 20, 2014 in Pomeroy Hall.
- Please refer to posted schedules from AVI Fresh for information on specific Dining Hall closing dates.
- The Bates Dining Room will be open during Wintersession. The first meal of Wintersession will be dinner on January 4, 2015 from 5:00pm-7pm. The Bates Dining Room will be open Monday through Friday from 8:00am - 7:00pm. The Bates Dining Room will be open on Saturdays from 10:00am until 2:00pm and Sundays from 12:00 - 6:30pm. Regular meal prices that are charged at the Campus Center Bae Pao apply. Students can take advantage of a 10% discount/bonus by pre-loading your ID per the specified volume discounts.
- The regular spring semester meal plan will begin at 5:00pm on Saturday, January 24, 2015 in Bates Pomeroy and Tower. Beginning Sunday, January 25, 2015 all dining halls will re-open at 10:00am and resume normal operating hours. For additional information please refer to the Dining Services website or call Ext. 2297.
Students not attending Wintersession: If you want to leave your vehicle on campus during winter break and/or Wintersession, you must email firstname.lastname@example.org with your vehicle information. All student vehicles stored on campus must be parked in the Davis Parking Facility in student parking on levels 3 and 4 of the garage.
- The Grounds Department must maintain the parking areas during the winter period, especially during snow emergencies. Vehicles that impede snow removal will be towed at the owner’s expense. You should back into the parking space so that if it should snow or your battery goes dead from lack of use, it will be easier to drive out of the space or jump the car.
- Students housed for Wintersession with a vehicle on campus must register it with the Wellesley College Police Department. Parking permits are available 24 hours a day. Permits cost $2.00 per day on weekdays, $10.00 per week and $40.00 for all of Wintersession. Sophomores, juniors and seniors may also pay the $75.00 fee to cover Wintersession and spring semester at Campus Police. If you are planning on having a car on campus during Wintersession you will need to stop by campus police to register your vehicle. If your vehicle is already registered for the full academic year you do not need to re-register it. Students with general questions should call the Wellesley College Police Department at Ext.2121. Specific questions related to parking may be sent to email@example.com.
STUDENTS WHO ARE GRADUATING OR LEAVING CAMPUS AT THE END OF FALL SEMESTER
- STUDENTS GRADUATING OR LEAVING AT THE END OF FALL SEMESTER MAY NOT REMAIN ON CAMPUS FOR WINTERSESSION.
- Any student not returning for Spring Semester must return her room key to the locked key box near your Professional Residence Life member’s apartment or office by 5:00pm on Saturday, December 20, 2014. There is a $30.00 fine for failure to return room keys.
- Rooms of students not returning for Spring Semester must be emptied of all belongings by the residents prior to leaving in December. A Residential Life Staff member must inspect the room before it is vacated.
- Any student who fails to remove all of their belongings from their room will be charged packing, shipping and handling fees.
- There is no storage for students going on leave. Commercial storage can be arranged through The Packaging Store at (781) 455-8199 or Boomerang Storage at www.boomerangstorage.com.
- If you are not going to be here for second semester courses, you may not store anything on campus. Please make arrangements to take your belongings home with you or contact the area storage vendor. The college has used The Packaging Store (www.packaging-store.com) in the past (see above for telephone number) or with Boomerang Storage at www.boomerangstorage.com.
- If you are changing residence halls at the end of the semester you will be required to store your belongings in the building you have been residing in for fall semester. When you return in January you can then retrieve your things and move them to your new room.
- If you are moving to another room within the same residence hall you may coordinate your storage with your RD/AC. Please be reminded that you are expected to pack up your entire room and vacate this space before December 20, 2014 at 5:00pm.
When making travel plans for Spring Semester, please be advised that Residence Halls close at 5:00pm on Thursday, May 21, 2015. Only seniors, and students with special permission, may stay on campus past this date and time. Residence Halls close for all students on Friday, May 29, 2015 at 8:00pm.
CLOSING MEMO SUMMARY
- Residence Halls close on December 20, 2014 at 5pm
- Residence Halls open for Spring Semester on January 24, 2015 at 9am
- Wintersession housing begins on January 4, 2015 at 12pm(noon)
- Wintersession students move back to spring semester rooms on January 22, 2015 between 12(noon) and 10pm
- Students going on Leave of Absence/Study Abroad for Spring Semester may not store any items.