Rental Vehicle

Accident Reporting Procedure

If you are involved in an accident while driving a rental car for College business, please follow the steps below:

  • Make sure that you are safely out of traffic. If you are unable to move the vehicle out of traffic, get out of the vehicle safely and wait in a safe location. If you are injured, do not move. Ask someone else to call an ambulance.
  • Exchange vehicle information with the other driver - name, address, license number, plate number, year, make, model of car, name of Insurance Company.
  • If necessary, contact the local police or ask someone else to do so.
  • Contact Campus Police at 781-283-2121. State your exact location. If you are near campus and uninjured, they will dispatch Motor Pool to pick you up. If, due to injury, you are unable to call, tell the police or ambulance that you are from Wellesley College and ask them to contact Campus Police.
  • Submit a report with the rental car company and provide a copy to the Risk and Compliance Manager, 150 Green Hall. Send any additional correspondence from the rental car company to the Risk and Compliance Manager as it becomes available.
  • If a Wellesley College employee is injured, he/she must file an Accident Report & Treatment (ART) Form with Human Resources and Environmental Health and Safety.
  • A report must be filed with the town/city in which the accident occurred and with Campus Police. Campus Police can assist you with this process.

Rental Vehicle Insurance 

Automobile rental companies offer various forms of insurance. It is important when renting automobiles on College business to purchase the correct type of insurance offered by rental companies.

Insurance You Should Take:

The insurance coverage called variously "Collision", "Loss Damage", "Loss Damage Waiver", or "Damage Waiver". This type of insurance covers damage to or theft of the rental vehicle.

Insurance You Should NOT Take:

Insurance offered as "Personal Accident" or "Personal Injury" insurance covers the medical bills of the driver of the rental car and any passengers. This is redundant for persons covered by a health plan.

Coverage variously titled "Additional Liability" or "Liability" or "Excess Liability" pays for damage to other people or their property. The College has a policy which covers this exposure.

You Can Take It If You Want To (But The College Won't Pay For It):

Another type of insurance is variously called "Personal Effects" or "Personal Belongings" insurance. This add-on provides coverage for the personal belongings of the driver or passengers in the rental car. There is no substitute for this coverage within the College; a person's belongings are their own responsibility. Your homeowner's or renter's insurance policy covers your property anywhere in the world. This coverage is subject to your personally selected deductible.