Rental Vehicle

Accident Reporting Procedure

If you are involved in an accident while renting a car or truck for College sponsored activities, please follow the steps below:

  • Make sure that you are safely out of traffic. If you are unable to move the vehicle out of traffic, get out of the vehicle safely and wait in a safe location. If you are injured, do not move. Ask someone else to call an ambulance.
  • Exchange vehicle information with the other driver - name, address, license number, plate number, year, make, model of car, name of Insurance Company.
  • If necessary, contact the local police or ask someone else to do so.
  • Contact Campus Police at x2121. State your exact location. If you are near campus and uninjured, they will dispatch Motor Pool to pick you up. If, due to injury, you are unable to call, tell the police or ambulance that you are from Wellesley College and ask them to contact Campus Police.
  • Submit a report with the rental car company and send a copy to Risk Management. Send any additional correspondence from the rental car company to Risk Management as it becomes available.
  • A report must be filed with the town/city in which the accident occurred and with Campus Police. Campus Police can assist you with this process.

Rental Vehicle Insurance

Automobile rental companies offer various forms of insurance. It is important when renting automobiles on College sponsored activities to purchase the correct type of insurance offered by rental companies.

Insurance You Should Select:

Insurance coverage called variously "Collision", "Loss Damage", "Loss Damage
Waiver", or "Damage Waiver". This type of insurance covers damage to or theft of the rental vehicle.

Insurance You Should NOT Select:

Insurance offered as "Personal Accident" or "Personal Injury" insurance covers the medical bills of
the driver of the rental car and any passengers. This is redundant for persons covered by a health plan.

Coverage variously titled "Additional Liability" or "Liability" or "Excess Liability" pays for damage
to other people or their property. The College has a policy which covers this exposure.

You Can Take It If You Want To (But The College Won't Pay For It):

Another type of insurance is variously called "Personal Effects" or "Personal Belongings" insurance. This add-on provides coverage for the personal belongings of the driver or passengers in the rental car. There is no substitute for this coverage within the College; a person's belongings are their own responsibility. Your homeowner's or renter's insurance policy covers your property anywhere in the world. This coverage is subject to your personally selected deductible.