The Friends of Wellesley College Botanic Gardens (WCBG Friends) supports and promotes the educational mission of the Wellesley College Botanic Gardens through exceptional outreach and interpretive programming.
The Friends of Wellesley College Botanic Gardens are dedicated to enhancing the scientific and environmental literacy of the students, faculty and staff of Wellesley College, as well as adults and school children within the larger community.
As the supporting partner of the Wellesley College Botanic Gardens, WCBG Friends engages a broad constituency in the exploration of the natural world. Thousands of visitors from preschoolers to senior citizens tour the Botanic Gardens each year. Through public offerings in horticulture, plant science and art for children and adults, WCFH draws in a variety of students who enjoy expanding their skills and knowledge.
In June 2012, our organization changed its name from Wellesley College Friends of Horticulture to Friends of Wellesley College Botanic Gardens, a change which more fully reflects our role in support of the Botanic Gardens.
WCBG Friends Activities:
- Supporting student events at the Wellesley College Botanic Gardens
- Funding library books, student employment at the Visitor Center, and students’ plant-based research
- Training volunteer docents, who give free guided tours of the greenhouses and outdoor gardens
- Funding student interns who expand their knowledge while assisting in the Botanic Gardens
- Helping Botanic Gardens staff with garden maintenance tasks
- Offering courses, lectures and other programs in horticulture and botanical art
- Encouraging interest in horticulture, ecology and plant science using the resources of the Botanic Gardens