The Sustainability Committee is composed of students, faculty, and staff who work to implement greener institutional policies at Wellesley.
The functions of the Sustainability Committee are the following:
- Advise the President on policies, priorities, and significant issues relating to environmental sustainability at the College.
- Develop policies and priorities regarding how environmental sustainability should be factored into College operations and decisions.
- Gather opinions from the College community on issues related to environmental sustainability, including by conducting surveys as needed.
- Serve as a consultative body regarding relevant college initiatives.
- Work in conjunction with the Committee on Educational Research and Development (ERD) and the Committee on Curriculum and Academic Policy (CCAP) in supporting educational and curricular initiatives and share data regarding environmental sustainability with the college community.
- Make recommendations to Academic Council about policies relating to environmental sustainability.
In 2020-22, the Sustainability Committee created a series of webinars and resources to present recommended actions for the Wellesley community to take to reduce our carbon footprint in support of Wellesley's divestment from fossil fuels.
In 2021-22, the Sustainability Committee prepared a set of policy recommendations to reduce the College's utilization of paper and printed materials, including College publications, student printing, and faculty/staff use of xeroxed materials.