Jewett Sculpture Court

Jewett Sculpture Court: students examine exhibition in the Sculpture Court

students examine exhibition in the Sculpture Court

The Sculpture Court is located on the third floor of the Jewett Arts Center in the west wing. It was designed by Paul Rudolph for the Wellesley College Museum, which was housed in Jewett when it opened in 1958.

One of Rudolph's most beautiful and elegant spaces, the Sculpture Court was filled with ancient and medieval sculpture, Greek vases, and other works of art, including a large mosaic floor panel, now in the Davis Museum, which was embedded in the floor at the center of the space. Rudolph's light-filled, multi-level room proved to be a perfect environment for learning about art, since it not only provided a quiet gallery for study and contemplation, but also offered multiple-vantage points -- especially the stairs and balconies -- from which to view the collection.

Today the Sculpture Court serves as additional exhibition space for the Art Department, an occasional meeting space for art-related student clubs, and a place for students, faculty, and staff to relax, hang out, or work between classes.