Physical Education Policies and FAQs
Every student must earn eight physical education credits to fulfill the College's PE graduation requirement. These credits do not count as academic units toward the degree, but are required for graduation. No student is exempt from this
requirement. The department strongly encourages students to complete the requirement by the end of the sophomore year. Students may earn PE credits for:
- PE classes (no credit limit)
- Varsity athletics (up to eight credits per sport per year)
- Certain recreational activities (two credits maximum for recreation and activity clubs; four credit maximum for intercollegiate club sports co-sponsored by PERA).
Qualified students may also earn credit for rigorous, instructional independent programs (four credits maximum).
Physical education courses are taken for either a term (6 weeks) or semester (12 weeks).
- Term course = 2 credits
- Semester course = 4 credits
PE courses are graded on a Credit/Non-Credit basis and are not recorded on student’s transcripts.
- CR - Credit for course completed satisfactorily.
- NC - No Credit. The student has not completed the course satisfactorily. Inadequate familiarity with the content of the course or excessive absences may result in an NC grade.
To earn credit for a course, students must understand class content, meet attendance requirements, and complete the course in good standing. Students may not earn partial credit for partial completion of a class.
Students are allowed to miss a maximum of two class meetings in a term course and three class meetings in a semester course. (top)
Courses may be taken only once for credit. Students who have already received credit for the semester version of a given class (e.g., Semester Pilates) are not eligible to receive credit for its term version (Term Pilates). However, students who have already earned credit for the term version of a class are eligible to receive credit for its semester version. (top)
If a student withdraws from a PE course at any point during the term or the semester, there is no penalty, nor will the withdrawal appear on the student’s transcript, but the student will not receive credit for that course. (top)
For more information on registration policies and procedures, click here. (top)
Students with medical restrictions must meet with the College Health Services Staff to be placed on the Department’s Medical Restrictions List. Assistance in choosing appropriate courses is available from the Department Health Services Liaison. In cases where appropriate activities are not available in the curriculum, a Modified Independent Program may be arranged individually through the Physical Education Liaison. No student is exempt from the physical education requirement. (top)
Physical Education FAQ
1. How many PE credits does the College require?
The College requires eight PE credits. Semester classes are worth four credits; term classes are worth two. Students may also earn PE credit for varsity athletics (4 credits per sport per year), certain recreation programs (max 2-4 credits), and pre-approved, instructional independent programs (max 4 credits).
2. Will PE courses appear in my academic schedule in Banner? Will they appear on my transcript or affect my GPA?
No, No, and No. Your PE courses will appear in your “PE History” in Banner, not in your academic schedule. The only PE-related information that will appear on your transcript is a note indicating that you fulfilled the PE graduation requirement. To check your PE History/schedule in Banner, log into MyWellesley, then click: Self Service > PE Menu > PE History.
3. Does a physical education course count as one of my four academic classes per semester?
4. When do I register for physical education courses?
For PE registration dates and instructions, click here.
5. How do I add or drop a physical education class?
To add or drop a class during the online registration period, go to the PE Menu in Self Service and follow the online prompts.
To add a class after online registration ends, you will need to attend the first class meeting. If space is available, the instructor will add you to the roster.
To drop a class after online registration ends, please contact either the instructor or the Physical Education Registrar, Tom Wilson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
6. How can I find out what physical education courses are offered and when they meet?
You'll find the annual PE schedule here.
7. May I take more than one PE course per semester/term?
Yes, students may take more than one PE course at a time. Note, however, that the online registration system allows students to enroll in only one class and waitlist for one class. To join a second course, a student will need to attend the first class meeting. If space is available, the instructor will add students to the roster.