WCLA Wellesley in Entertainment 2017-18 Screenwriting Competition
The WCLA's Wellesley in Entertainment group holds an annual screenwriting competition for graduating seniors of Wellesley College. The competition is open to all majors. This year, the organization will accept submissions between September 5th and December 21st, 2017.
Submitted scripts may be any genre -- short film, pilot, feature, web series, comedy, drama, science fiction -- but must be original content, the sole property of the applicant. No spec scripts for existing television series will be accepted. Any adaptation must be based on properties which the applicant owns in full. We are looking for new ideas, strong characters, believable worlds, and well-defined conflicts. We hope the scripts will demonstrate both a love of language and a commitmet to storytelling. As a guide, applicants may reference the scoring rubric, below, which will be used by the judges.
A panel of Wellesley alums who are industry professionals will review submissions and select both a competition winner and an honorable mention. During the College's 2018 spring break, the competition winner will be fown to LA, housed for four nights with a Wellesley alum and set up with three days of meetings with industry professionals (writers and executives). The WCLA's WIE will arrange the student's flight, and a $100 cash per diem ($300 total) will be given upon arrival to LA, to cover meals and travel within the city.
We hope this competition will promote the completion of writing samples in advance of graduation, allowing seniors to graduate with at least one of the tools necessary for becoming a professional writer. We hope the award package will allow the winning student to grow comfortable with taking general meetings and receiving industry feedback on a writing sample. Last, we hope that the student will carry the experience back to classmates, able to reflect on not only possible paths to becoming a working writer but also the ways Wellesley graduates can support each other in bringing diverse, smart, human stories to the screen.
Check out this article about last year's winner!
- September 5th, 2017: submission period opens
- December 21st, 2017, 11:59 pm EST: submission period closes
- February 20th, 2018: winner and honorable mention announced
- week of March 26th, 2018: winner flies to LA, meets with industry professionals
- May 4th, 2018: announcement of 2018-19 competition
- Is the document consistently formatted, without typos?
- Is the script's concept original?
- Do the characters represent specific, unique, diverse points of view?
- Does the writing employ any invention within the structure, entry into scenes, introduction of characters, or exposition?
- Is there a strong sense of place? Do you have a sense of the world beyond the bounds of this script?
- From the words on the page, do you have a visual sense of the story? Does the writer offer any sense of the visual style and tone?
- Do you have a sense of the characters' inner lives, beyond the spoken dialogue?
- While reading the first page, did you want to know where this story was headed?
- Does this script make you want to know more about the writer behind it?
- Scripts should be properly formatted through Final Draft, Screenwriter, Celtx, or a similar screenwriting software.
- One submission will be accepted per person.
- All documents must be in English.
- Submissions may not be altered, revised, or resubmitted after initial submission.
- Complete the informational form linked here, including short essay questions, and sign the legal waiver. Please type responses to short essay questions on a separate sheet, in 12-point font. Send completed form, short essay questions page, signed waiver, and script in that order, as one PDF, to WIEScreenwritingCompetition@gmail.com. Please put your last name in the header of each page.
- A confirmation email will be sent upon receipt of your submission. Please do not inquire on the status of your application beyond that confirmation. Results will be announced on February 20th, 2018.