Awards for Research, Travel, and Study Related to the Ancient World
The Department of Classical Studies at Wellesley College is pleased to be able to award grants to Wellesley College students:
- The Anna Marguerite McCann Award provides funds for student travel or study abroad in classical art and archaeology, especially Mediterranean maritime archaeology.
- The Edith Tufts Award provides funds for research and/or travel in the field of Classical Studies, both abroad and in the United States.
- The Miranda Marvin Award funds study and travel expenses to further students' knowledge of art, architecture, or archaeology of the ancient Mediterranean.
These awards are open to Wellesley College students of classical antiquity, broadly defined.
The proposal document should include the following:
Description (300 word maximum) of your project or program, explaining how it fits into your overall past and future plan of study at Wellesley College.
a field school to give you hands-on archaeological or conservation experience
travel to a museum or archival collection as the basis of your honors thesis
an intensive summer course to bring you up to the intermediate or advanced level in Greek or Latin at Wellesley College.
List of courses taken in the Department of Classical Studies (Greek, Latin, Classical Civilization), and courses centered on the ancient world in related departments, e.g., art, history, philosophy, religion, anthropology, political science.
Budget. Be as specific as possible. For travel expenses, look for low fares, if possible, and try websites such as Expedia and Kayak. For living expenses, be reasonable. Your budget will be read as carefully as your proposal.
- Proposals are for specific projects: a specific field school or program, for instance, or a research project conducted at a specific location, not for study at an unspecified program or for travel in general or for pleasure travel.
- Preference will be given to students who have taken Classics-related courses at Wellesley in the Department of Classical Studies, the Department of Art, or affiliated departments.
- Funding will not be awarded for Wellesley Summer School courses, for study abroad during regular spring or fall term, or for Wellesley Wintersession courses. Proposals for non-summer research costs (e.g., to a collection) would be considered by inquiry to the department chair.
- 2022 graduating seniors are eligible to apply for funding.
- Award recipients will be required to submit a reflection and photo from their funded program and/or travel experience and grant usage rights to the department.
- If you have any questions, please email the department administrator: firstname.lastname@example.org.