This policy covers the payment to an individual who is a Non Resident Alien or Foreign National. The College's ability to pay the individual and determine his/her tax status depends upon various immigration information. The information is provided by the individual electronically under the College's Foreign National Information System (FNIS).
FNIS is a system used to gather visa and other various information. The individual will log into the system over the web based upon a user name and password provided by the Controller's Office and submit it for review. Based upon the information provided, the system will determine whether the College may pay this individual under his/her certain visa type and will need to withhold any taxes. The department is responsible for ensuring that the individual completes the information in the FNIS system before requesting payment.
All requests for payments must be also follow the policy on Paying Individuals for Service.
Before requesting payment to a Non Resident Alien or Foreign National, the department should forward an email to Dotti Koulalis in the Controller's Office (email@example.com) requesting that the FNIS form should be emailed to the individual. The department should provide Dotti with the email address of the individual.
May pay the invidual under his/her visa type.
Will need to withhold taxes.
- Complete a Check Request Form with all required information including address and independent contractor (IC) number.
- Fill in the complete Worktags with the required information. The FOAPAL to Worktags map will assist in translating information to the correct Worktags.
- Sign the Check Request Form indicating approval for payment.
- Attach appropriate documentation detailing the service provided, total hours and rate of pay per hour, or the flat rate.
- Forward to Accounts Payable for processing.