Controller's Office Frequently Asked Questions

Please click on one of the department names belowto view a list of Frequently Asked Questions relating to that department.


Frequently Asked Questions on Travel:

Q: I used my personal car to attend a business meeting. How do I get reimbursed?
Complete a Travel Expense Report form and you will be reimbursed the standard mileage rate, currently at $0.625 per mile.
Q: How do I get reimbursed for payments made for airline tickets and hotel deposits for future business travel plans?
You may request a travel advance using the Travel Advance form and then put these expenses on your expense report once the travel is complete.
Q: My position requires a lot of in-state travel using my own vehicle. Do I need to use a Travel Report form if my only expense is for mileage?
All travel including non-overnight travel needs to be done on the Travel Expense Report form.
Q: When I use my vehicle for business travel, I pay for turnpike tolls on my E-Z pass, and I do not get a receipt as such. Can I get reimbursed anyway, without individual receipts?
Travel expenses under $50 do not require a receipt, but they should still be listed on the report. If you paid more than $50 in tolls on one particular day, please explain why there are no receipts for that larger amount.
Q: While I was away at a conference, I had a lunch meeting with my research collaborator to discuss our research project. How do I expense this?
Since reimbursable expenses need to be business related, you must include the names of your guest(s), professional affiliation, and purpose of the meal meeting. You can write these on the front of the Travel Report in the space provided.
Q: I had difficulty getting taxi receipts while I was in Mexico. How can I get reimbursed?
If original receipts are not available, proof of payment and an itemization of the charges must be provided before reimbursement will be made. If you paid in cash, please indicate this on the Missing Receipt Affidavit Form. If your expense was charged on a credit card, please provide a copy of your statement showing the charges.
Q: I went to a conference and did not get a receipt for the registration fee. What do I need to do to get reimbursed?
Submit a completed Missing Receipt form with your Travel report and be sure to attach a copy of the credit card state, or front and back of your canceled check, to show proof of payment.
Q: When I booked my hotel on Expedia.com, and the hotel would not provide me with a receipt. How can I get reimbursed without a receipt?
You should have a print out from Expedia.com at the time of the booking that details your charges. If you did not print one out, you must complete the Missing Receipt form with attached copy of your credit card statement showing the charge.
Q: I forgot to save my boarding passes. How do I get reimbursed?
In lieu of the boarding pass, you must provide some documentation of your flight i.e. an itinerary or have other substantiating expenses listed on your report and an attached Missing Receipt affidavit. If you do not have an original receipt for your tickets, you must show some proof of payment by including a copy of your credit card statement.
Q: I will be traveling outside the U.S. for two weeks while working on my research project. How do I get reimbursed?
For faculty long term travel, requests for reimbursement should be made on a Faculty Long Term Research Expense report. This form does not apply to foreign travel for conferences.


Accounts Payable Frequently Asked Questions

Q: If I sent in five requests for payments or invoices on the same day, why were they not processed at the same time?
Requests for payments are reviewed and processed based upon payment due dates which will vary with each request. Delays may be caused by the need for additional or corrected information for certain requests.
Q: Why is address a required field on the check request?
Multiple addresses are stored in the Workday system. We need to have the address so that the payment is sent to the correct place.
Q: Why is a New Vendor form required for every new vendor?
The IRS Rules require that we file a Form 1099-Misc Statement for some recipients of miscellaneous income. The New Vendor form helps us determine if a 1099-Misc from needs to be sent to the vendor at year end.
Q: How long does it take to process a check request?
During peak periods it can take up to 7 to 10 business days to process the request.
Q: How do I get a rush check?
Please call Dotti Koulalis to request a rush check. If the request is for a new supplier we must have the New Vendor form before we cut the check. This could add a day to the process. Please see Rush Check policy for more details.
Q: How do I get reimbursed for out-of-pocket expenses?
 For all reimbursements, submit a Supplier Registration Form. Create an Expense Report in Workday. The Expense Report must have original receipts, a complete Cost Center (with additional worktags), and an authorized signature.
Q: Why is it necessary to submit original receipts?
Original receipts are necessary to avoid double payment.
Q: Is a New Vendor form needed for every entity that is not on the system?
Even when we are paying the vendor only one time, it is necessary to have their documentation in our vendor file. When the College Pro-Card is used a new vendor form is NOT needed.
Q: How do I know if a vendor is on the system?
The BANNER form you want to check is FAIVNDH. Search in the vendor ID for the entity. Remember businesses use the entire name in the space for the last name. Individuals are searched with last, first and middle names. The Budget Office Web page has instruction on how to search a vendor.
Q: How do I get reimbursed for Conferences I attended and paid admission?
Create a Expense Report via Workday filling in all the necessary information. Attach original receipts and complete the Cost Center (and additional worktags) to be charged and approved by an authorized signer.
Q: How do I get reimbursed for Airline tickets I've purchased?
If you want to be reimbursed for airfare before the trip you will need to complete the Spend Authorization, attach original receipts, complete the Cost Center (and additional worktags) to be charged and approved by an authorized signer. You will also need to sign the form indicating that you will complete and submit a Travel Expense form within 60 Days of the completed trip.
Q: How do I handle Vendor Credits?
Credit memos are processed by Accounts Payable. All you need to do is put your Cost Center (and additional worktags) on the credit memo and submit it to Accounts Payable for processing.


Payroll Frequently Asked Questions - Faculty and Staff

Q: When are weekly timesheets due?
Weekly timesheets are due by noon on Mondays, however individual departments can establish earlier deadlines to review timesheets before approval. 
Q: I have a new hire. How do I get them on payroll?
New hires must contact Human Resources Department to complete the onboarding process.
Q: My new hire cannot access Workday. What should I do?
Have your employee contact the Help Desk.
Q: How does the pay period relate to the check date?
All weekly (union, non-exempt, casual wage and students) employees are paid on the Fridays for the prior weeks' work.
Exempt employees and faculty are paid on the 15th of the month.
Q: How do I sign up for direct deposit?
All new hires are required to sign up for direct deposit during the onboarding process.
Q: I am an academic year employee. I do not work during the summer. What happens to my health and dental deductions?
You are double deducted upon your return in the Fall until your account is up to date.
Q: Why do my year-to-date earnings on my last pay stub of the year not agree with my W-2 totals?

The year-to-date figures on your pay stub are based on actual earnings, while your W-2 totals are based on taxable income minus pre-tax deductions. Examples of pre-tax deductions are: health and dental insurance.

Q: I am a non-exempt admin employee. How is overtime computed?
Non-exempt admin employees are paid one and one-half times their regular hourly rate for all hours worked in excess of 40 hours in a given work week.  Union employee overtime is outlined in the Union Handbook.


Payroll Frequently Asked Questions - Students

(Also See Student Payroll Inquiries)
Q: How often do I get paid and when do I get paid?
Students are paid on Fridays for the previous pay period.
Q: When are timesheets due?
The deadline to submit timesheets is Monday, noon. However, your supervisor may set an earlier due date for you to submit your hours to allow time to review and approve timesheets.
Q: When can I enter my hours on my timesheet?
You can enter hours as soon as you have worked them. You do not need to wait until the pay period end date to enter your hours. But you must submit your timesheet at the end of each pay period before the due date or date determined by your supervisor.
Q: Who is responsible for ensuring that I get paid?
Students are ultimately responsible for getting paid for hours worked. You are responsible for entering your hours in Workday. You can view your timesheet to see if your supervisor has approved your time. If your supervisor has not approved your time, you are responsible for notifying your supervisor that you have an outstanding timesheet that requires approval before the payroll deadline.
Q: I forgot to enter hours from last pay period. What should I do?
Workday allows you to enter hours on Thursday on the previous timesheet. If you forgot to enter hours beyond the last pay period, please enter your hours under the current pay period by selecting the retro pay earn code from the drop down menu.
Q: If I’m leaving campus can I get paid early?
Student payroll is processed as a group during a specified time period. No check can be processed before this timeframe.
Q: How are paychecks issued?
Students are required to sign up for direct deposit. Your check is deposited in your bank account on the appropriate check date. Your check can be deposited to any bank in the continental United States.
Q: Do I get a separate check for each campus job?
No, only one paycheck is issued for each pay period. If you work more than one job (either on campus or off-campus) during a single pay period you will receive one paycheck reflecting your combined earnings.
Q: I’m on work-study, do I still pay taxes?
All students are exempt from paying Social Security (OASDI) and Medicare taxes during the school year. However, students are not exempt from paying federal and state taxes. Please refer to https://www.irs.gov/individuals/students for information regarding student related tax issues.
Q: I’m a foreign national, do I have to pay taxes?
All foreign national employees are required to meet with a Payroll staff member to determine if your country has a tax treaty with the US. In some instances your tax treaty may exempt from paying taxes. Please refer to http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Tax-Treaties
Q: What should I claim for tax exemption?
The majority of student claim single status with either zero or one exemption. Please refer to
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/students for information regarding student related tax issues.
Q: Can I get an advance on my paycheck?
We do not offer advances on paychecks. If you have a financial emergency you can contact the Student Aid Society and apply for a small loan.


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can I make a deposit after hours?
You can make a deposit after hours through the depository box outside the Controller's Office
Q: Can I pick up a check at the Controller’s Office?
Checks can be arranged to be picked up at the Controller's Office when arranged with Accounts Payable Manager, Dotti Koulalis.


General Accounting Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I still submit a hard copy of my journal entry to the Controller’s Office?
It is no longer necessary to submit a hard copy of the entry to the Controller’s office
Q: How do I key in Program Code 000 in the Journal Entry Template?
You must insert an apostrophe before the numbers 000 in the Journal Entry Template.
Q: Can I continue to send in a hard copy journal entry for posting.
The electronic format is required for processing. Hard copies and the old forms will no longer be accepted forms for the processing journal entries.
Q: Who is authorized to submit a journal entry?
Only individuals that have signing authority over the org are permitted to post journal entries.
Q: What is a debit, credit?
A debit transaction represents an increase to expenses or a decrease to revenue. A credit transaction represents a decrease to expenses or an increase to revenue.
Q: When can I review my departmental budget reports for the month?
Generally, a notice of month closing will be posted close to the 10th business day of the month for the closing of the prior month. Closing notices will be posted on the Faculty/Staff Conference and emailed to individuals on the Controller's Office mail list . Note that July and August closings are typically delayed due to year end closing procedures.
Q: When can I review my departmental budget reports for the year?
Final reports for the year will be accessible as soon as the external auditors perform their review and final statements have been prepared. The Controller’s office will post notices on the First Class Faculty/Staff Conference when the year has been closed and the new fiscal year is open for transactions.
Q: What is my username for the Banner Finance Access Form?
You are assigned a user name when you are set up in Banner. If you are unaware of this username, leave this item blank on the form.
Q: Why do I have to include the program code in the journal entries and window transactions?
We are asking departments to include full FOAPAL in all transactions with the Controller’s office now due to data entry improvements that have been implemented in our office. Currently, transactions from several departments are uploaded to Banner simultaneously instead of the manual input in the past.
Q: How do I know what FOAPAL to use?
An easy way to find the FOAPAL for a transaction is to access the Banner Form FWIBDST. If you input the org code, Banner will automatically fill in corresponding fund and program codes. Double click on a code field for a full listing of codes. Alternatively, your department might have a listing of frequently used account numbers.


Endowment Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How much income will my fund earn this fiscal year?
The amount of income available to be spent in the fiscal year is determined by taking the number of shares the fund “owns” and multiplying by the distribution rate per share determined by the College. The income is posted to the gift in twelve postings. Additional gifts will result in increased income.
Q: What is the difference between an endowed fund and a grant?
An endowed fund is usually given to the College with the intent that it is a permanent fund for the support of the College, usually with a specific intent such as scholarship, prize, professorship, etc. The principal (gift amount) will be invested in perpertuity and the income earned from this investment will be used for the purpose designated by the donor. For example, a donor my give the College a $1,000,000.00 with the intent that the income earned will go to support Financial Aid.
A grant usually requires deliverables, financial reports, a time restriction and a budget.  Typically, the funds are exhausted by the end of the grant or the balance should be returned to the grantor.
Q: How much do I have to spend today in my fund?
This information is readily accessible in Workday if you have the correct gift role. View the 'FIN Gift Spendable Balance' for the gift. This report displays the balance forward, the annualized net income distribution, net activity and the current balance. 
Q: If I receive a check from a donor, where should I sent it?
It should go to Donor Relations Development Services (DR/DS) to be processed. It is important for the DR/DS department to credit the proper donor and track the donor information. 
Q: What happens if I don't spend all of my income or gift during the fiscal year?
The funds from restricted gift or income distribution get carried over each year. You can see the balance in the gift in 'FIN Gift Spendable Balance.'


Frequently Asked Questions on Sponsored Programs

Q: How will I know if a proposal has been awarded, and how can I begin charging to that award?
All proposals should be submitted through a pre-award office or contact. Faculty proposals should be submitted through the Office of Sponsored Research. Wellesley Centers for Women (WCW) grants should be submitted through Anna Dore and the WCW Pre-Award office for processing. Proposals for the Dean's Office should be submitted through MaryPat Navins and/or Lori Friedman of the Dean's Office. Once an award has been made, the pre-award contact will notify you of the pending award. Once we have all of the necessary documents needed to set the award up in the system, you will be notified by the Controller's Office or the Accounting Manager at the Women's Center that your award is set up in the financial system and available to be charged. The FOAPAL number, start and end dates, reporting responsibilities, budgets, and other pertinent information will be forwarded to you with this notification. Information regarding Banner User Access, FOAPAL Access, and Fund Authorization will be included as well. It is the responsibility of the Principal Investigator to review these documents and understand the deliverables and deadlines involved, the maximum amounts that can be charged to the fund, and to submit all forms for access and authorization privileges.
Q: What are Indirect Costs?
Indirect Costs, Overhead, or Facilities and Administrative (F&A) Costs (the official term) are costs that are incurred in conducting or supporting research or other externally-funded activities that cannot be directly attributed or efficiently charged as direct costs to a specific sponsored project. General categories of these types of expenses are general administration costs (i.e. accounting, payroll, purchasing), sponsored project administration costs, utility costs, depreciation, building maintenance, etc. The amount of indirect costs charged to an award is based on a rate that normally reflects Wellesley College's current negotiated and federally approved rate. This rate is periodically renegotiated with the Department of Health and Human Services and is applied to a specific pool of costs known as the indirect cost base to arrive at the indirect costs charged on a grant fund.
Q: What is our current Indirect Cost Rate?
Our current federally negotiated and approved Indirect Cost Rate for on-campus awards is 79% of Salaries and Wages. Our off-campus rate is 17.60% of Salaries and Wages. Please note that these rates are our federal rates and do not necessarily apply to all grant funds. Please contact the Controller's Office if you have a question as to what the rate on a specific grant is.
Q: How long is the Indirect Cost Rate active?
Our current Indirect Cost rate agreement is a 3-year agreement and is scheduled to end June 30, 2013. We are required to submit a new proposal by December 31, 2012.