- CWS (Old)
- Health Professions
- Who We Are
- Where to Start
- Fellowships and Scholarships
- Graduate and Professional School
- Job Search Essentials
- Wellesley Serves!
- What Wellesley Graduates Do
- Diversity Resources
- Online Workshops
- Alumnae Advice Video Series
- CWS Social Media Policy
- Graduate School Representatives
- Center for Work & Service (CWS)
Wellesley Serves! Grant
Through the generosity of Wellesley College alumnae, parents, and friends, the Center for Work and Service (CWS) offers Wellesley Serves! Grants to first years, juniors and seniors currently enrolled at Wellesley College.
These grants afford students the opportunity to pursue an internship experience in a not-for-profit organization that involves a particular community/population/issue. These grants also aim to foster the spirit of volunteerism and encourage community service as a lifelong activity for Wellesley College women.
Examples of internships include:
• Working directly with the animals or wildlife at an animal shelter/wildlife clinic
• Tutoring or teaching in an educational program
• Working in a summer outreach or education program at a museum
• Providing health care service and/or information at a clinic, hospital, or other health care setting
• Education programs which provide services to children and adults with disabilities
• Programs which serve the needs of the elderly
• Environmental programs working directly with the environment and/or visitors
In order to receive a Wellesley Serves! Grant, students are required to:
• Complete a 10-week, 350 hour internship with a not-for-profit organization working in direct, front line service around the organization’s mission. Although all internships require some amount of office work, the majority of the intern’s time should be spent working directly with the clients the organization serves.
• Attend mandatory pre-departure meetings sponsored by the CWS;
• Return all student contracts and paperwork as required by CWS;
• Submit an essay reviewing their summer experience and a thank you letter written to the donor;
• Participate in the Tanner Conference.
Priority will be given to students applying for Wellesley Serves! Grants to fund internships in the United States.
Please note that Wellesley students are not normally awarded funding to pursue a community service project or an internship in a country with a current U.S. Department of State Travel Warning. Requests for exceptions to this policy are considered on a case-by-case basis by the College's Safety Committee. Students must provide a letter of support from a faculty member as well as a completed Safety Petition Request. Students going abroad should visit the U.S. Department of State Web site.
Students may not receive a Wellesley Serves! Grant for an internship that falls under the following programs: Global Engagement Internships, Lumpkin Summer Institute for Service Learning or Summer Internships in Psychology (Riverside Community Care and the Walker School).
Please apply through MyCWS as follows:
1. Complete and submit the required Supplemental Form via the following link: https://goo.gl/Io4JKX
2. Register with MyCWS and upload your application materials to MyCWS Schedule ID #1636
3. Upload your Resume on MyCWS
4. Upload your Unofficial Transcript (.pdf format) from Banner
5. Upload your Cover Letter addressed to CWS Selection Committee. Please include your response to EACH of the following prompts on your one page cover letter:
a. Explain the common theme that makes the group of organizations a good fit for your long-term professional/personal/academic aspirations.
b. Describe your prior experiences and the attributes that will make you successful in your internship placement.
c. How/what do you hope to contribute to the organizations.
Deadline: March 1, 2016 12:00 PM EST