Our goal at Health Services is to work with you in preparing you for a safe and wonderfully rich study abroad experience. 

Your  physical and mental health is very important components of your choice to travel abroad. Therefore, the Office of International Studies (OIS), Health Service and the Stone Center Counseling Service have a clearance process that is required of each student who will study abroad. 

If you have any chronic medical or mental health issues, it will be important to consider how you can get the support you need while abroad. It is important to anticipate how the psychosocial stress of an international experience might exacerbate any condition and have a plan in place should this occur. 

For this reason, it is required that you submit the attached Pre-Travel Screening Form to Health Service. This form is due March 1 for study abroad commencing in the fall and October 1 for study abroad commencing in the spring. You must submit this form to Health Service before your Leave Form can be processed. On the form you will provide a detailed medical and mental health history. Health Service staff will notify you if an appointment is either recommended or necessary.  Should you choose to see an outside clinician, documentation must be provided to Health Service (for medical) and/or the Stone Center (for mental health) for review in order for clearance to be communicated to OIS.  Please complete the Pre-Travel Screening Form in Online Student Health as soon as you know your international destination. We will send you a letter including recommended vaccinations/malaria prophylaxis and encourage you to make an appointment with us to discuss/receive the recommendation  immunizations. If you are planning a trip to a foreign country please try to make your appointment well in advance, as many of the immunizations may need to be ordered. Try to make sure you have received all of your travel vaccinations by at least two weeks before leaving in order to build up immunity. Off Campus Travel Clinics in the area are available if you are unable to secure an appointment at Health Service by your deadline date. It is also important to take care of any health issues prior to foreign travel. In addition to seeing a clinician, make dental appointments and refill all prescription medications you take regularly to avoid any potential problems while away.

We recommend you visit the CDC’s travel website for continually updated information regarding international health notices, immunization requirements, and recommendations specific to destinations you are considering for your study abroad experience.

 Do you need more than a month's worth of medication while travelling abroad?
If you have the Wellesley College Health Insurance plan, please follow the link to obtain additional months of medication www. universityhealthplans.com

If you have private insurance, we encourage you to call the insurance company directly
as they may have a similar procedure which would allow multiple months of medication to be dispensed and covered.