For International Students

international students

Student Employment: Information for International Students

Students with F1 and J1 visas can work on-campus. In addition to the standard procedures, international students need to secure a United States Social Security Number and complete tax information with the Controller's Office.Students are required to have applied for a social security number to begin working on campus. It is highly recommended that students obtain a social security number before beginning to work on campus. 

Immigration regulations limit work hours to up to 20 hours/week while school is in session. However, Wellesley College regulations limit work hours to a maximum of 10 hours/week while school is in session. See below for more information regarding the process of obtaining a social security number and completing onboarding. 


Important Contacts 

To obtain a social security number, international students must first fill out the On-Campus Employment Form. In addition to the student, the hiring manager and International Scholar and Student Advisor (ISSA) at the Slater International Center, must complete portions of the form. The Social Security Administration will not assign social security numbers if this form is not completed. Students must then present their documents to the Social Security Administration along with the application for a social security number. Here is the direct link to the social security number application:

Before submitting your application, please visit the Slater International Center website for more information about required documentation, how to apply for a SSN, and next steps. The social security number application, On-Campus Employment Form and other related documents must be completed in full and mailed to the Social Security Administration before students begin employment. 

When the form is completed or if you require assistance completing the application, please contact your local Social Security Office (most likely Framingham, MA) or call 1-800-722-1213. Students can also reach out to the Slater International Center at or make an appointment with an advisor there. Once you have applied for a social security number, please reach out to Gina Mariano, Student Employment and Engagement Program Manager, at or 781-283-2211 to complete your onboarding. 

Contact: Student Employment | Office of Human Resources & Equal Opportunity   | | 781-283-2211


International Student FAQs

Can I start work before my Social Security Number application is complete?

Yes, you can start work as long as your application has already been mailed to the Social Security Administration but your hours will not be approved for payment until you complete all 5 steps.

Are there any restrictions on my employment as an International student?

Yes, according to USCIS regulations, you may NOT work more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session. You may work up to 40 hours per week during break/vacation periods (Thanksgiving, winter, intersession, spring and summer recess). You (not your supervisor) are responsible for making sure you do not exceed the 20 hour limit.  Working more than 20 hours per week while school is in session can jeopardize your visa status. As a reminder, Wellesley College policies allow students to work up to 10 hours a week across all on-campus positions during the academic year. 

Will I have taxes withheld from my paycheck?

Aliens Authorized to Work / Non Resident Aliens' tax status depends upon various immigration factors. The College's Foreign National Information System (FNIS) gathers this information and determines tax status. FNIS information must be updated annually to verify tax status. Upon hire, you will be contacted by the payroll office to complete. Neither Human Resources nor the Slater International Center are able to legally offer tax advice or can assist with determining tax status. Please contact Payroll with any questions.