Off Campus Student Employment

off campus student employment

Off-Campus Employment for Federal Work-Study Eligible Students

A student may be employed off-campus under the Federal Work-Study Program (not Wellesley Works) by a federal, state, or local public agency, or by a private nonprofit organization. The work must be performed "in the public interest" — that is, for the national or community welfare, rather than for a particular interest or group. 

When the College enters into a written agreement, or contract, with any off-campus agency that employs Work-Study students, it must make sure the organization is a reliable agency with professional direction and staff, and that the work to be performed is adequately supervised and consistent with the purpose of the Federal Work-Study Program. The Civic Engagement office at Wellesley has community partnerships where students can serve off-campus each year (students are not permitted to earn Federal Work-Study funds at sites unapproved by the College). Only students with Federal Work-Study eligibility are able to receive hourly earnings for off-campus service.

Off-campus service opportunities are not available during the summer or wintersession. Questions related to work-study type (Federal vs. Wellesley Works) or award amount should be directed to Student Financial Services.

Current Service Opportunities

  • At this time, there are no off-campus Federal Work-Study positions due to pandemic restrictions.
  • Fall community site partnerships will be identified by September 2021.
  • Greater information will become available on the Civic Engagement page in late summer 2021.