Current Scholars

Once you have entered the U.S. as a Visiting Faculty/Scholar you will have to follow Department of Homeland Security Federal Regulations to maintain your legal status.  If you have any questions about maintaining your status please contact the Slater International Center at 781.283.2082 or

Maintaining Status

Always keep the Slater International Center informed of any changes of address, employment, immigration status, passport validity, and provide copies of new or extended passport and visas.

Extension of Stay

Permission to stay in the U.S. needs to be renewed periodically. Scholars should communicate with their department first about the reappointment process. Slater cannot authorize the renewal of an appointment for scholars until after the reappointment has been approved by the appropriate department/administrative office.  If you would like an extension of stay and your visa status allows this, you must apply well before the current expiration date


If you plan on traveling outside the U.S., please make sure that all your documents are in proper order prior to your departure to avoid any complications when re-entering the U.S.

To help answer some of your questions about traveling outside of the U.S. please see the following:

J-1 Scholars Re-Entering the U.S.

J-1 Scholars re-entering the U.S. should travel with the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Form DS-2019 with a travel endorsement signature no more than six months old.
  • Valid J-1 Entry Visa in your passport.
  • A copy of your current letter of appointment from Wellesley.