Learning Outcomes for the Major
- Students will comprehend and speak either Spanish or Portuguese at an advanced level, as detailed in the ACTFL proficiency guidelines.
- Students will demonstrate foundational knowledge of Latin America's history, cultures, economies, and literatures. Students will demonstrate specialized knowledge in at least one discipline of the social sciences and one discipline of the humanities.
- Students will compare and critique the modes of inquiry - including theories, methods, and/or data - used by Latin Americanists in at least three disciplines of the social sciences and humanities.
- In at least two disciplines, students will apply modes of inquiry to evaluate existing research, synthesize its findings, and carry out new research on Latin American topics.
- Students will demonstrate their knowledge and skills in lucid writing and clear oral presentations.