Microsoft Office at Wellesley College
College-owned computers are fully licensed for Office 2016 Pro, or, for older computers, Office 2011 for Mac OS X, or Office 2010 for Windows.
Students, faculty and staff can get MS Office for your personal devices:
- full computer installation of latest versions of Office for Mac or Windows PC
- one-year subscription for Office 365 Online
- full access to mobile apps
- full access to Office via web browser
- see the Frequently Asked Questions
Retirees, alums and others who are no longer employees or students here: any reputable software store should be able to sell you Microsoft Office. Some people prefer to use free options like Google Docs and Sheets, which alums and some retirees have through the College (if you have retained your Wellesley email, that is your Wellesley Google account).
How to get (or renew) Office for your personally-owned device and the web:
- Log in to MyWellesley and click on Software Store in the Administrivia tab.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to "purchase" your free annual subscription license and get your initial, temporary Office 365 Portal password
The temporary Office portal password you receive with your initial purchase may continue to show here in the Software Store. This becomes obsolete as soon as you log in the first time to the Office Portal and change that password yourself. See below if you have forgotten your Office Portal password.
You will need to "purchase" the free subscription again after a year to keep it valid, as long as you continue to be an active student, faculty or staff member of Wellesley College
This subscription version of Office should only be installed on devices that have internet connectivity at least once every 30 days to keep the license valid. (Faculty and staff can pick a different MS Office for a small fee in the Software Store if the internet connectivity is an issue.)
- With a valid new or renewed subscription, log in to the Microsoft Office Portal and get to Office online as well as installers for your personal computers.
For a new subscription, create a password for this account and note it in KeePass or whatever secure password manager you use. (Can't find the initial temporary password? Go through the password reset below.)
For a renewal, if you can't find the password from a year ago, see how to get an immediate password reset below.
See Microsoft's "getting started" information for Office Online.
For Microsoft Office Portal password resets (note: this is not the same as your password for the Software Store, which you log in to using your Wellesley account via MyWellesley):
- Try to log in
- If your guess for your password is wrong, ask to reset it
- When told you can't reset it yourself, say you want an Administrator to reset it for you
- Check your email; within minutes of your request, you'll receive a new temporary password
- If the email does not arrive within minutes:
- Check any other email accounts you may have given to the software store
- Check again after 30 minutes to an hour
- If you still don't find their email, contact the vendor M-F 6am-6pm at 855-561-4175.
This password is not tied to your Wellesley College accounts directly; it is an account managed by our Software Store (Kivuto) for Microsoft.
If the information on this page does not resolve an issue you're having accessing your free Microsoft Office, or for other support using the Software Store: