How to Update to Java 8 on a Windows 7 Computer
* For Use with Firefox *
* Please note that we do not support versions of Java beyond Java 8, Update 121. *
1) Find out which version of Java you have:
- Click on the “Start” button , which is located on the left of your screen.
- Click on “Control Panel” (listed in the right-hand column).
- Select “View by: Small (or Large) icons”, then double-click on the "Java" icon to open it.
- In the "General" tab, click on the “About...” button. A popup will show the version of Java you have (e.g., "Version 7 Update 71").
- Close the Java Control Panel, then close the Control Panel.
2) If you have Java 8, Update 121, you don't need to do anything else and can stop here.
3) If you have something other than Java 8, Update 121, use these instructions to uninstall it and install Java 8, Update 121.
- Open the Control Panel. Then, under the "Programs" section, click on "Uninstall a program". You will see a complete the list of installed programs.
- Find Java in the list. Most computers have two Java programs installed-- a regular one and one with "(64-bit)" next to it.
- Click on one of the Java programs listed, then click “Uninstall”.
- If asked if you’re sure you want to uninstall, click “Yes”.
- If asked, “Do you want to allow the following program to update software on this computer?”, click “Yes”.
- If asked, “Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?”, click “Yes”.
- Repeat the steps above to uninstall the other Java program.
4) Be sure you're using the correct version of Firefox (Firefox 52+ ESR). Here are the instructions.
5) Using Firefox, log into MyWellesley. Then download Java 8 by clicking on the link below. After you've clicked on the link, click the blue "Download" button, then the blue "Download anyway" button, then "Save File".
6) In Firefox, click on the “download” arrow (circled in red) to display the file you’ve downloaded:
- Double-click on the Java 8 download. If Firefox asks if you want to launch an executable file, click "OK".
- If Firefox asks, "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?", click "Yes".
- If Firefox asks if you want to run this file, click "Run".
- At the "Welcome to Java" window, click "Install".
- If an "Out-of-Date Java Versions Detected" message appears, uncheck the box next to the version of Java that's shown, then click "Remind Me Later", then "Next".
- If you're asked if you want to restore Java security prompts, uncheck the box.
- If you see the "You have successfully installed Java" window, click "Close".
- If a "Verify Java Version" window appears, close it.
7) Change several Java settings on the Control Panel:
- Open the “Control Panel” again.
- Double-click on the Java icon to open it.
- Click on the "Advanced" tab, which is at the top of the Java Control Panel.
- In the "Java Console" section, select "Do not start console".
- In the "Mixed code (sandboxed vs. trusted) security verification" section, select the second option ("Enable - hide warning and run with protections") if it has not already been selected.
- In the "Advanced Security Settings" section, be sure that only the options checked in the screenshot below are chosen. Click "Apply".
- Leave the Java Console open and follow the instructions below.
- In the Java Console, click on the "Security" tab.
- Be sure the security level is set to "High". (Select "High", if necessary.)
- Click on the "Edit Site List" button and add the following sites for each program that you use(do not click on the links below; simply copy and paste the text from the links below into the site list):
Banner ERP: https://bannererp.wellesley.edu:4452
The test version of Banner ERP: https://testban8erp.wellesley.edu:10123
The test version of NolijWeb: https://imaging-test/wellesley.edu
- Click "OK", then "OK" again.
8) Log out of MyWellesley. Close Firefox, then reopen it. Log back into MyWellesley.
9) Using Firefox, open Banner ERP. Note: If you've used Banner ERP before on this computer, you may not see all of the messages below, because Java might remember your settings from a previous installation.
- Click on the "Activate Java" link:
- If you see a message that says, "Allow https://bannererp.wellesley.edu:4452", click on "Allow and Remember".
- If you see a message that says, "Application Blocked by Java Security", click "OK" and close Firefox. Then be sure to follow each sub-step in step 6, above-- especially all of the sub-steps in the last section ("Leave the Java Console open"). Repeat step 8. Restart this step (step 9).
- If you see a message that says, "Your Java version is out-of-date", check the "Do not ask again until the next update is available" message in the lower left-hand corner, then click on "Later".
- If you're asked, "Do you want to run this application? (Banner by Ellucian)", check "Do not show this again for apps from the publisher and location above", then click "Run".
- If you're asked, "Do you want to run this application? (OracleForms)", check "Do not show this again for apps from the publisher and location above", then click "Run".
- If you see a message that says, "Block potentially unsafe components from being run?", click "Don't Block".
- If you see a message that says, "Do you want to run this application? (Location: https://bannererp.wellesley.edu:4452)", click "Run".
- At this point, you should be able to log into Banner ERP. If you are unable to do so, please be sure you've followed each of the steps above. If you still can't log in, call the Help Desk at x3333.