Prepare to set aside at least an hour of your time to install LaTeX. You should also be on campus or using a high-speed internet connection, since you will have to download a large file. If you have any difficulty while installing the software, bring your laptop to the Help Desk in Clapp Library or email firstname.lastname@example.org with a description of the problem.
To install LaTeX applications on your Mac:
- Visit http://tug.org/mactex/ and click on the MacTex Download link, the on the MacTeX.pkg link to download the installer (if prompted, click Keep). The file is quite large (~4 GB), so be prepared to wait a bit while it downloads.
- Once the file has downloaded, double-click on MacTeX.pkg to begin the installation.
- Read and accept the conditions, then follow the on-screen instructions to install the program.
The installation may take over half an hour.
- After the installation is complete, you can delete the downloaded MacTeX.pkg file.
- You will find the installed programs under Applications | TeX. TeXShop is the editor that you will use to create and edit LaTeX documents.
When you are ready to begin using LaTeX, you may find this website helpful: