Prepare to set aside at least an hour of your time to install LaTeX. You should also be on campus or using a high-speed internet connection, since you will have to download a large file. You need to install two different parts, a LaTeX compiler (MiKTeX) and an editor (TeXstudio).
- Visit http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/windows/protext/ and click on the protext.exe file to download it. This is the proTeXt installer, and it’s quite large (~2.5 GB), so be prepared to wait a bit while it downloads. (Note: disregard the Last modified date; the latest version will be here at any given time.)
- Once the file has downloaded, double-click on protext.exe. If you see a security warning, click Run.
- Extract the installation files to your desktop:
- In the file extracting window, set the destination folder to one called "protext" on your Desktop: click the Browse button. In the Browse for Folder window, click on Desktop and then click the Make New Folder button. Name the new folder protext, click on the new folder to select it, and then click OK to close the Browse for Folder window. Now click Extract. If a security window pops up, choose Yes, and then just wait, the extraction process will continue.
Once the files have been extracted, the window will close.
- Go to your desktop and then double-click on the protext folder to open it. Double-click on Setup.exe to begin the installation
- In the proTeXt pop-up window, click the Install button next to MiKTeX.
- Answer yest to any security warnings, and then Read and accept the "copying conditions" by checking the box, then click Next.
- Choose to install Basic MikTeX, then click Next.
- Accept the defaults on the next 2 screens by clicking Next.
- In the Settings, choose Letter as the preferred paper size. Make sure ‘Ask Me First’ is chosen for the package installation option. Click Next.
- Click Start to begin the installation. When it is complete, click Next and then Close.
- In the proTeXt pop-up window, click the Install button next to TeXstudio
- Click through the installer, leaving all the defaults.
- Click Finish when the installer is complete.
- You have now installed both LaTeX and the editor. You can now delete the downloaded protext.exe file as well as the protext folder on your desktop.
When you are ready to begin using LaTeX, you may find this website helpful: