R is a statistical software program. RStudio is a user interface for R that organizes the windows you see while using R. The default interface for R on Macs is usually sufficient, though users who are used to another statistical software program, such as Stata, may prefer the familiar interface of R Studio. Both R and RStudio are free and open source.
Download and Install R
- Visit http://cran.rstudio.com/
- Choose Download R for (Mac) X.
- Click on R-3.1.0-snowleopard.pkg to download the installer.
- After you have downloaded R, open the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
Download and Install R Studio
- Go to: http://www.rstudio.com/products/rstudio/download/
- Under Installers for ALL Platforms, choose Mac OS X 10.6+
- After you have downloaded RStudio, open the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install it.