B.M., Berklee College of Music; M.M., University of Massachusetts (Lowell)
Mark S. HenrySenior Music Performance Faculty in Double Bass
Performer with jazz groups, classical and theatre orchestras; instructor of beginners to advanced in doublebass and electric bass.
My own training includes studies with Lawrence Wolfe and Ed Barker of the Boston Symphony, and jazz improvisation with the late Charlie Banacos. A busy free-lancer in the Boston area, I have performed as a jazz bass specialist for the Boston Pops and in the bass section with the Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra for 20 years. Other performing includes such groups as the Boston Ballet and Boston Lyric Opera, along with solo doublebass recitals. Theatre musical credits include playing in the pit for Broadway productions such asPhantom of the Opera and Miss Saigon, and backing up such jazz stalwarts as Scott Hamilton, Illinois Jacquet, Art Farmer, Cab Calloway, Diane Schuur, Mel Torme, and Maureen McGovern.
In addition to teaching private lessons on bass and electric bass, I have taught bass at Wellesley College and the University of Massachusetts at Lowell for more than 20 years. I was a featured clinician at the Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival at the University of Alaska for 15 years. Spending two weeks with students in Fairbanks in the summertime was very enjoyable.
Some of my recorded performances include:
- "Sleigh Ride” -The Boston Pops Orchestra (2004)
- “Encore!” -The Boston Pops Orchestra (2000)
- “A Splash of Pops” -The Boston Pops Orchestra (1999)
- “Holiday Pops” -The Boston Pops Orchestra (1998)
- “Live In Newport” -The Jazz Pops Ensemble (1991)
- “Zelmira” -Harmonie (1995) Titanic Records
- “Digital Jukebox” -The Boston Pops Orchestra (1988)
- “The Jazz Pops Ensemble” -The Jazz Pops Ensemble (1987)
- “A Wintersauce Christmas” -The Wintersauce Chorale (1987)
- “Swing, Swing, Swing” -The Boston Pops Orchestra (1985)
I enjoy hiking and biking, and some scuba on vacations. As a professional pilot, I also find time to do some flight instruction at local airports and enjoy quick getaways to the Cape and Islands when I can beat the traffic by air.