Wellesley Welcomes the Class of 2022
Congratulations to the Wellesley class of 2022! Final admission decisions were released Wednesday evening, March 21. The incoming purple class is composed of top candidates from a historically high number of applicants to Wellesley.
Wellesley received 6,670 first-year applications this year, a 17 percent increase over last year (which was also a 17 percent increase over the previous year). These numbers provide a first glance at the 19 percent of applicants granted admission, the lowest admit rate ever for the College.
Here’s a look at the admitted class of 2022:
- The accepted students hail from 955 high schools in 49 states plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico as well as 41 countries outside the United States.
- Fifty-three percent are domestic students of color, identifying as African-American, Asian-American, Latina or Hispanic, or Native American.
- Sixteen percent will be the first generation in their families to attend a four-year college.
- Eleven percent are international citizens.
- Their average SAT score is 1438 and their average ACT score is 32.
- Of the students attending high schools that rank, 86 percent are ranked in the top 10 percent of theirgraduating classes.
- Admitted students include those who applied to Wellesley via the College’s valuable partners QuestBridge and the Posse Foundation, and those who worked with local, community-based organizations that support students in applying to college.
“We were incredibly excited to receive another record number of first-year applications to the College,” said Joy St. John, dean of admission and financial aid. “The applicant pool continues to reflect excellent academic credentials along with a rich diversity of perspectives, experiences, and interests. It is an honor for the Board of Admission to select future Wellesley students from such an extraordinary group.”
The Office of Admission and the rest of the College look forward to hosting admitted students for our Wellesley Spring Open Campus events April 9 and 10. Students have until May 1 to make their final decisions regarding matriculation.
Welcome, Wellesley College class of 2022. We look forward to meeting you soon!