The Wendy Judge Paulson ‘69 Ecology of Place Initiative aims to connect students and the Wellesley community to nature and sense of place. We are seeking students from the humanities, arts, and sciences as Paulson Initiative Academic Year Interns to help advance the mission of the Initiative during the 2022-23 academic year (all classes/majors welcome to apply, some positions will also be held for first year students). Academic Year Interns will gain training and work with the Paulson Initiative staff on a diverse range of projects and skills, including communication/interpretation; art/graphic design; event/tour planning; website/social media management; environmental justice and inclusion; data management and visualization; and landscape monitoring, design, and restoration. Interns will also be ambassadors for the Paulson Initiative program across departments, student orgs, and offices on campus.
During the 2022-23 Academic Year, interns will focus on specific aspects of the Paulson Initiative work, but will be able to support and learn about the different projects. General responsibilities could include:
- Learn about and apply natural and cultural history, nature connection, and sense of place knowledge through the lens of science, arts, and/or humanities to events, tours, exhibits, projects, landscape monitoring, knowledge base, environmental justice/inclusion work, and communication;
- Help plan, organize, publicize, and evaluate Paulson Initiative events, tours, workshops and activities for students across all disciplines as well as the campus community;
- Organize and summarize landscape monitoring activities;
- Collaborate with other departments, offices, and orgs across campus to develop more inclusive opportunities for students and the campus community to connect to the landscape and develop a sense of belonging;
- Maintain an active presence for the Paulson Initiative via social media and assist in producing the Paulson Blue Heron Quarterly and maintaining the website;
- Develop projects that advance the mission of the Paulson Initiative;
- Develop a “sit spot” on the landscape where they will visit each week throughout the academic year and reflect on their own connections to nature, landscape and place.
- Participate in workshops and regular group and individual meetings with other students and staff;
- Attend a late spring celebration of internship projects and present to the community through Ruhlman or other venue.
This internship is open to all current Wellesley College students The primary requirement is an interest and curiosity around the natural environment, interest in supporting our programs and developing inclusive approaches to connecting the Wellesley community to nature and sense of place.
We encourage students of all backgrounds and experiences to apply, and actively work to build a welcoming and inclusive environment among our student/staff community. Work-study eligible is preferred (please indicate). Please email Suzanne Langridge (email@example.com) with any questions.
Compensation: Hourly rate for Paulson Initiative interns starts at $14.50 for Fall 2022; rates will increase with experience, and with increases in minimum wage.
Schedule: This position is a maximum of 15 hr/week, minimum of 6 hr/week, with some scheduled hours (up to 5) and some independent work/event support hours. The internship is for the fall and spring semester.
Application includes 1-2 page resume and cover letter (1 page max) which should include the following:
- What you expect to gain from the program and how the internship relates to your goals or academic interests.
- Why you are excited about this internship, and specific aspects or projects you would be interested in or would like to support.
- Your interests, skills, or previous work/volunteer experience that may be relevant (e.g. academics, natural history skills, skills with natural materials, event planning, writing, artist, graphic design, data visualization, etc.).
- Provide the full name and email of one Wellesley College faculty or staff who has agreed to serve as a reference for you (no reference letter necessary – we will contact references as needed)
- Note on the application if you are work-study eligible.
Please also fill out this Google Form: https://forms.gle/67kr5gzbb5GEfPsH6 - this is a required part of our application and will help us understand your interests and availability.
Please see the Paulson IG, past Blue Heron Quarterly newsletters, and our website for more information on our work and projects.