Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy
Campus Security and Fire Safety Report
The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report - Background
Wellesley College publishes this report in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (originally the Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act of 1990). The Clery Act is a federal law that requires institutions of higher education in the United States to disclose campus security information including crime statistics for the campus and surrounding areas. It was first enacted by Congress in 1990 and amended in 1992, 1998, 2000 and 2008. The Clery Act requires eligible institutions to prepare, publish, and distribute an annual security report containing specific information about campus security policies and campus crime statistics. The Wellesley College Police Department is responsible for preparing and distributing this report in accordance with the Clery Act.
The Police Department works with many other departments and agencies to compile the information required for this report. The Dean of the College and the Dean of Students are key contributors in the preparation of this report. Other campus offices such as the Office of Residential Life, the Stone Center Counseling Services, and the Office of Environmental Health and Safety, among others, all provide critical information concerning campus security policies and campus crime statistics for inclusion in this report.
The Town of Wellesley Police Department also provides information concerning crime statistics for disclosure in the report. We encourage all members of the Wellesley College community to use this report as a guide for safe practices on and off-campus. It outlines campus policies and provides important safety and crime prevention tips.
Wellesley College also prepares an annual fire safety report that contains , at a minimum, the following information:
- Fire statistics for each on-campus student housing facility for the three most recent years;
- Description of each on-campus student housing facility fire safety system;
- Wellesley College policies or rules on portable electrical appliances, smoking, and open flames in an on-campus student housing facility;
- The number of fire drills held during the previous calendar year;
- Wellesley College evacuation procedures for on-campus student housing facilities in case of fire;
- Policies regarding fire safety education and training programs provided to students and employees;
- A list of titles of each person or roganization to whom students and employees should report that a fire occurred;
- Plans for improvements in fire safety, if determined to be necessary by Wellesley College.
To read more about the Jeanne Clery Act, go to Security on Campus, Inc.