The APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR THE 2022 APPLICATION IS TUESDAY, MARCH 15 BY 5PM EST.
If you begin your application and need to stop, it will automatically save and you may use the application link above to continue at a later time.
A letter of recommendation is required. Once you enter your recommender's information into the application link above, they will receive an automated message requesting their letter of recommendation on your behalf. We recommend you send them the prompt below ahead of time before you submit your application:
- Please submit a letter of recommendation evaluating this student's ability to carry out a project of academic research in their major as a Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellow.
Students majoring, or intending to major, in the Humanities or a Humanistic Social Science discipline who are:
- Be a student with sophomore standing with a strong and demonstrated interest in an MMUF designated field (no exceptions). Juniors may be considered in exceptional cases.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Strong desire to pursue doctorate degree (PhD) and join the professoriate,
- Have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher, which must be maintained.
Before you start, we recommend you have these items ready:
- Unofficial Transcript,
- You will need to write three essay questions. We have listed them down below for you to better prepare ahead of time. We recommend you type these out on Microsoft Word or GoogleDoc ahead of time and paste your answers in the application:
- Please compose an essay describing:
- What are your research interests? Briefly describe a project that you would like to undertake if accepted into the MMUF program. *Please type your essay in a word processing program and paste your response below.
- Please compose an essay of 300 words or less describing:
- Please describe your motivation to teach at the college/university level. What do you find especially engaging about a career in higher education?
- Please compose an essay of 100 words or less describing:
- Extenuating circumstances that may have affected your GPA, if any.
After the deadline has passed and we have had the opportunity to initially evaluate the submitted applications, you will receive an email confirming that you are being considered for the program.
ALL APPLICANTS WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE SELECTION RESULTS AFTER INTERVIEWS ARE COMPLETED, which we expect to happen midway through Spring semester.