What should I do before I take the QR Assessment and after I get my results?
Below are some recommendations and important information for incoming Wellesley students as they prepare to take the QR Assessment and plan their first year of courses.
Prior to the assessment
- Set aside some time to review the QR Assessment practice materials before taking the QR Assessment.
- Take the QR Assessment in a quiet environment with reliable internet and at a time of day when you do your best thinking. You will receive your results (on Workday) soon after the assessment window closes.
- If you do not satisfy the QR portion of the QR & DL requirement via the initial QR Assessment, please remember that there is a retake opportunity. We strongly encourage all students who do not satisfy the QR component on their first attempt to take the retake assessment. The retake covers similar topics to the initial QR Assessment but is composed of different questions.
After the assessment results come out
- Your assessment results will be posted on Workday and will indicate whether you have satisfied the QR component of the QR & DL requirement via the assessment. This information will be available to both you and your academic advisor. You will be able to get feedback and advice on course selection prior to registering for your fall courses.
- If you satisfy the QR component of the QR & DL requirement via the assessment, you may immediately enroll in any of the courses at the bottom of this page (for which QR is a prerequisite).
- If you do not satisfy the QR component of the QR & DL requirement via the QR Assessment, you must enroll in QR 140 during your first year at Wellesley. Please keep the following in mind as you design your class schedule and discuss your course choices with your advisor.
- First-year students who are interested in pursuing biology, chemistry, neuroscience, or premedical studies may enroll in Chem 105P or Bisc 110P during their first semester, prior to or concurrently with QR 140. Those interested in pursuing economics may enroll in Econ 101P or Econ 102P, prior to or concurrently with QR 140. These “P-labeled” sections are specifically designed to provide additional resources for students who want the opportunity to work on further developing their science/math skills within their introductory science courses. At the conclusion of the semester, you would be just as ready to continue to take future science courses as would a student taking the non “P-labeled section” of the course.
- QR 140 is not a prerequisite for courses in the mathematics department, which have a separate placement mechanism. Thus, you may enroll in a calculus course prior to or concurrently with QR 140.
- QR 140 grants the Mathematical Modeling distribution credit.
- You can enroll in courses that have QR as a prerequisite only after you successfully complete QR 140.